Gary, list,

is a sign a medium for the communication, or the communication itself? I thought one might replace "a sign mediates between" with "a sign is the mediation between", and mediation is a function, so a sign is a function. That would mean that there is a distinction between the sign and the sign vehicle or something. But if that is wrong, ok.

Best, Helmut

16. April 2019 um 22:06 Uhr
 "Gary Richmond" <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Jon, List,

You wrote:

JAS: Personally, I do not find the notion of calling a Sign a function any more palatable than calling it a relation.  A Sign is not composed of itself, its Object, and its Interpretant in any way; and it is certainly not like a mathematical function that merely transforms input into output.  On the contrary, Peirce consistently maintained that the Sign, Object, and Interpretant are three distinct correlates of a triadic relation--which is not properly called "Sign," but rather "representing" or (more generally) "mediating"; and which results in the communication of a Form from the Object through the Sign to the Interpretant. [Boldface added]

For exactly the reasons you give, I also do not find calling a Sign a "function" or a "relation" acceptable. I think the Peirce quotation with which you concluded your post make this ineluctable. And especially this single snippet: "As a medium, the Sign is essentially in a triadic relation. . ." nails it.

So, as you wrote, a Sign is not 'composed'. That is, a Sign is not a triadic relation but, rather, is "essentially in a triadic relation" CSP [Emphasis added]

I must remark that I really don't see the difficulty in grasping that, at least for Peirce, that this is an 'essential' semeiotic fact once one accepts that "a Sign may be defined as a Medium for the communication of a Form." (CPS, emphasis added)

Best,

Gary R

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York