}Gary R, list

        I have a problem with inserting 3ns prior to 1ns in the Origin of
the Universe. That is, I don't see 3ns as a 'spatial continuum'' , My
understanding of 3ns is that it refers to the development and action
of laws-of-the-organization of matter, and as such, develops, as
Peirce outlines in 1.412 and 6.217-AFTER/ or concurrently with the
emergence of instantiations of matter [2ns]. To posit 3ns before the
emergence of instances [of 2ns] suggests a necessitarian agenda - and
Peirce's cosmology rejects that '"I say that nothing necessarily
resulted from the Nothing of boundless freedom" 6.219.

        Peirce's outline, in my understanding, posits a beginning, if one
can use a temporal term to refer to an atemporal State, as Zero.
Nothing. .. 'the womb of indeterminacy' [1.412] which hardly
describes 3ns,  which is, after all, laws-about-things.

         See also 6.215 - where he describes 'the initial condition, before
the universe existed, was not a state of pure abstract being. On the
contrary it was a state of just nothing at all, not even a state of
emptiness, for even emptiness is something" 6.215]. I don't see this
as referring to 3ns, to any 'spatial continuum'.

        The action of continuity, of synechism, seems to develop as an
action of generalization along with 3ns, which is, after all, an
action of generalizing and developing commonalities. [see 1.414-416].

        Edwina
 On Fri 16/08/19  3:20 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Helmut, Jon, List,
 I had meant to post this earlier, but then forgot to when I got
caught up in a number of other things. Perhaps it still has some
relevance. In the post to which Helmut was responding, Jon had quoted
N. Guardiano (adding, in brackets, references to 1ns and 3ns).
 NG:  The blackboard when blank describes a spatial continuum [3ns]
open to all kinds of possible figures that may be drawn [1ns].
Contemplating this ontological inclusiveness of the origin of the
universe, I note here that Peirce’s description of the origin as
"pure zero" and "nothing" is intended only in the sense that it
consists in "no individual thing, no compulsion, outward nor inward,
no law. [Nevertheless, i]t is the germinal nothing, in which the
whole universe is involved or foreshadowed." [CP 6.217; 1898] It is
hardly nothing in the common sense, then; or, as Peirce says, it is
not "[t]he nothing of negation [that] is the nothing of death, which
comes  second to, or after, everything." [ibid] Rather, the "pure
zero" is the possibility of everything: "the whole universe" or every
particular existent universe in potential. (p. 321)
 He then commented on this passage:
  JAS: The "nothing" of "pure zero" corresponds to "the clean
blackboard" (CP 6.203; 1898), as well as the blank Sheet of
Assertion--a vast continuum that is utterly indeterminate and always
has room for further determination, no matter how much the Graphist
scribes upon it.  This is confirmed, finally, in Peirce's own brief
commentary on the initial verses of Genesis.
 Jon then went on to suggest that this would seem to reflect Peirce's
analysis of the first chapter of Genesis (see my translation of the
Latin just below this quotation).
 CSP:  It is remarkable that though subconsciously yet he [the
author] has perceived the need of every element which was needed for
the first day. His tohu wabohu, terra inanis et vacua is the
indeterminate germinal Nothing. His Spiritus Dei ferebatur super
aquas is consciousness. His Lux is the world of quality. His fiat lux
is an arbitrary reaction. His divisit lucem a tenebris is the
recognition of the necessary duality. His vidit Deus lucem quod esset
bona is the waking consciousness. Finally, his factumque est vespere
et mane, dies unus is the emergence of Time. (NEM 4:138; 1898)
 I thought then that it might be helpful to add a translation of the
(mostly) Latin above. It's a bit rusty; but perhaps someone here can
provide an even better translation. I've put my translations of
phrases into Italics.
 CSP: It is remarkable that though subconsciously yet he [the author]
has perceived the need of every element which was needed for the first
day. After  Tohu wabohu (which Hebrew phrase Peirce elsewhere
translates as Chaos), void and empty land is the uncommitted germinal
Nothing. His the spirit of God moved upon the waters is consciousness.
His Light is the world of quality.  His let there be light, is an
arbitrary reaction. His divided the light from darkness is the
recognition of the necessary duality. His He saw the light that it
was good the waking consciousness. Finally, his And the evening and
the morning were the first day is the emergence of Time. (NEM 4: 138;
1898)
 I tend to agree with Peirce's, Guardiano's, and Jon's analyses.
 Best,
 Gary
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York