John, List:

JFS:  Jon objected that Peirce never used the term 'normative logic'.

I have never raised any such objection; as I recall, Gary F. did so several
months ago, when I myself used the term "normative logic" as a shorthand
way of distinguishing the Normative Science of Logic (i.e., Semeiotic) from
formal/mathematical logic.

JFS:  Formal semeiotic would have to be an application of mathematics to
the study of signs, as they appear in the phaneron.  Therefore, it is not a
branch of pure mathematics.

I agree; but according to Peirce, "the study of signs, as they appear in
the phaneron" is the first branch (Speculative Grammar) of Logic, which is
the third branch of Normative Science.  It does not fall within
Phenomenology, which is the study of the phaneron *itself*, encompassing
qualities (1ns) and reactions (2ns) as well as signs (3ns).

JFS:  This definition cannot include normative science because esthetics
and ethics would include quite a large amount of human thought.

On the contrary, the subject matter of Esthetics is feeling (1ns) and that
of Ethics is action (2ns).  The only Normative Science whose subject matter
is thought (3ns) is Logic as Semeiotic--and as Peirce said, it studies not
merely *human* thought, but thought *in general*, which is semeiosis.

JFS:  For more evidence, look at CP v. 1 book 3.  That has the title
"phenomenology", it uses formal logic to analyze the phaneron, and it
generates the monads, dyads, and triads of logic and formal semeiotic.

As I keep pointing out over and over, the title and specific content of CP
v1 b3 are irrelevant, because the CP editors chose both--not Peirce himself.
In any case, Phenomenology indeed uses formal/mathematical logic to analyze
the phaneron; it does not use the Normative Science of Logic, which is
Semeiotic.

JFS:  That produces three versions of logic:  the logic of mathematics,
which is the first branch of pure mathematics; the logic used in CP v1 b3,
which is used to analyze the phaneron to produce the categories; and the
logic that depends on all of the above plus esthetics and ethics.

Peirce only identified *two* versions of logic--formal/mathematical logic,
which is a *logica utens* that depends on nothing else and is used in every
science, including Phenomenology; and the Normative Science of Logic as
Semeiotic, which is a *logica docens* that depends on Mathematics,
Phenomenology, Esthetics, and Ethics, and is used in Metaphysics and every
Special Science.  There is no warrant in his writings for the claim that
there is a *third* version of logic used specifically in Phenomenology.