Jon A, List,
I strongly agree with those two points:

JA
1> It's been my observation over many decades that people invoke the
"ethics of terminology" mainly to inveigh against everyone's
innovations but their own
Yes indeed.  I have experienced that kind
of criticism.  That's why I'm using Peirce's ethics of terminology in self
defense.  Peirce hoped that EoT would facilitate communication.  When he
had daily contact with students and colleagues, he got immediate feedback
about his choice of words.  But in his Arisbe period,  he had no way of
knowing what terminology his readers would understand.
JA 2>
these days I've shifted more of my attention to the "pragmatics of
communication", the critical case being communication across the
boundaries and through the filters of diverse communities of
usage.
That is our audience:  21st century people with diverse
backgrounds and little or no knowledge about Peirce.  I get frustrated
with Peirce scholars who preach to the choir and turn their backs on
people who need to hear the message in words they understand.
Re
formal logic:  De Morgan coined that term, and Peirce observed EoT to use
it in a way that was consistent with De Morgan and with modern logics.
But anybody who took a course in logic today, treats the word 'logic' with
no qualifiers as a synonym for 'formal logic'.   For them, Peirce's phrase
'logic as semiotic' is either meaningless or misguided.
But the
danger of intelligent, but malevolent robots is a "hot topic"
today.  Anybody working in or worrying about artificial intelligence would
be very receptive to a theory of ethical robots that are governed by a
normative logic.  That is a starting point for making a connection between
Peirce's logic and 21st c technology.
That is just one of many
issues for which we need terminology that is (a) consistent with Peirce's
insights and (b) intelligible to a modern audience.