Auke - thanks for your clear differentiation of two quite different
semiosic processes - regardless of their terms/names.

        That is, as I see it, there IS such a thing as 'Truth' and there IS
such a thing as natural evolution. Both are semiosic actions and both
have different functions and yet both are a type of 'end' action.

        A] With regard to Truth - I consider that this refers to a specific
object/event where a final Interpretant about its singular identity
can eventually be made. This would be, as in the example, the verdict
of the jury. Or, the verdict of a number of scientists about the
'true' identity of a biological specimen. This sets up a closed 'end'
action.

        B]  But this is very different from the 'final interpretant/eventual
interpretant which refers to the continuous act of the Universe in
generalizing from all the existent and emerging differences and
developing a new habit/law. There is no ultimate truth, no final 'end
action'  in this process. Instead, there is a continuous growth of
diversity and networked complexity.

        I suspect, but I may be quite wrong, that JAS considers that the
Universe is itself engaged in truth-seeking and is involved in a
search-action for some ultimate final truth. My view is that Peirce
uses both processes; the specific truth event and the generalized
open evolutionary process.

        Edwina
 On Fri 17/04/20  4:11 AM , a.bree...@chello.nl sent:
        Jon Alen,

        This comment probably does not come as a surprise.CSP:  The Eventual
Interpretant of [a] Sign is all that General Truth that it destines,
in view of the other general truths of the universe, conditionally
upon its full acceptance. It is the sum and substance of all the real
difference that its acceptance will make. ... Any Eventual
Interpretant must be of the nature of a Habit or Law. (RS 46:6-7, c.
1906) CSP:  …and there is the Normal Interpretant, which is the
true Interpretand, which the sign ought to produce. Its true value.
Take, for example, a witness in court. ... The Normal Interpretant is
the modification of the verdict of the jury in which this testimony
ought logically to result. (R 499(s):2-4, c. 1906)
        I read these quotes as indicating two concepts, as the terms choosen
already suggest, i.e. 'eventual' and 'normal'. The normal is judged by
the truth value: is the interpretant the effect the sign (sic) ought
to produce. It is an understanding of the import of this sign. It is
restricted to the interpretation prosesses goals at hand.

        The eventual is not thus restricted: all general truth that it
destines, in view of other general truths of the universe. It is the
sum and substance of all the real difference that its acceptance will
make, it must be a habit. It is what the normal interpretant of my
former alinea might mean in other processes too. This difference can
be looked at as a difference between an involved dicent aspect (of
the normal i) of the sign and a rheme aspect (involved in eventual
i,), the latter enabling its to involvement in other processes. The
lines of identity that connect the processes (involved index element
of legisigns and immediate interpretants that of themself act as a
sign alike guaranty the possibility of this to actually happen).

        On the terminological side I regard Peirce as a ballerina that is
able to make the finest and clearest distinctions between closely
related gestures. He is not the butcher that only knows to make
minced meat. He looks at each joint from all relevant (semiotically)
perspectives and describes what you find if you cut from those
perspectives.
        Closely related to this issue is the interpretation of 'dynamical
interpretant'.  I found  passage's in Logical notebooks:

        The dynamical interpretant is the determination of a  field of
representation
 exterior to the sign. This  eld is an interpreter's consciousness
which
 determination is a ected by the sign (MS 339, 253r, October 8,
1905).

        The dynamical interpretant is just what is drawn from the sign by a
 given individual interpreter, [. . . ] (MS 339, 276r, April 2,
1906).

        I also found another shade of meaning in the first sentence below:

        The commanded act in the mere doing of it as in uenced by the
command
 is the dynamical interpretant. (DIR; AvB) But insofar as that
conduct
 involves the recognition of the command and is obedient to it and
recognizes
 this correctly, it is the representative interpretant (MS 339, 253r,
 October 9, 1905).

        1. Note that the normal interpretant, is calles here the
representative. not without reason because with normal Peirce looks
at it from a truth functional perspective and with normal from a
representative.

        2. More improtant, you will notice the difference between:

        A.

        The dynamical interpretant as 'the determination of a field of
consciousness' (The immediate interpretant/rheme got its index and
became propositional for this interpreter. But still needed the
representative content to enter the  argument, being put under the
general rule of inference (representational interpretant) and judged
on its truth value (normal i). It indicates a moment in a process of
interpretation.

        and B.

        Dynamical interpretant as "The commanded act in the mere doing of
it." In this case A must be fullfiled for B to happen. In A we are
speaking in terms of sign aspects about the dynamical interpretant.
In B it is a sign type, and it is the intended signtype in this
argument (process) if communication is succesful.

        I suggested a distinction between 'dynamical interpretant'
(aspectual) and 'dynamical interpretant response' (typical) for
disambiguation pusposes.
        Best regards,