Edwina, John, List:

I do not agree with a linear view of Peirce, either, and strongly concur
that one must take his entire vast corpus into account.  What I have said
is that I generally assume, in the absence of evidence to the contrary,
that his later writings reflect his *more considered* views--rarely (if
ever) *contradicting* his earlier writings, but typically seeking to
*clarify* them after further contemplation and refinement.

Peirce considered his inkstand to be an extension of his mind (CP 7.366,
1902), and I interpret many of his manuscripts accordingly--as
documentation of his ongoing thought process, not finished products that
always merit equal weight with whatever came subsequently or actually
appeared in print during his lifetime.  I can very much relate to such a
method myself; as the variously attributed saying goes, "I write to find
out what I think," both on the List and elsewhere.  My posts this week
express opinions that have evolved considerably from those that I held two
or three years ago, but the latter would still provide insight into how I
arrived at my current positions.

I readily admit to focusing a lot on terminology, as Peirce himself did,
since in some ways it is a specific object of study for semeiotic as a
distinct science.  However, I also acknowledge as he did the importance of
applying the results in *other* sciences--including not only metaphysics as
the third branch of philosophy, which I have discussed extensively, but
also the special sciences such as biology and sociology, which are *not *areas
in which I have much personal interest or expertise.  Nevertheless, if one
does not correctly *apprehend *Peirce's views on phenomenology, normative
sciences (including logic as semeiotic), and metaphysics, then one
obviously will not be able to *apply *them properly in the special sciences.