Jon, Robert, List,

I began a draft response to your post, Jon, shortly after you wrote it, but
things began to move so quickly on the list that my initial thoughts soon
seemed to be superseded in the rapid fire exchanges following. So I am glad
that you reposted it as it gives me another chance to respond (*if* I can
complete it soon enough not to lose it again as things move on).

I certainly agree with Jon that your paper, Robert, is most interesting and
that your podium diagram effectively represents the relations holding among
the three categories. But I also agree with you, Jon, that 'involution' is
not only Peirce's term, but indeed expresses the concept of the logical
relations holding among the categories more accurately than does
'presupposition', really optimally.  I would very slightly modify Jon's
expression of these involutional relations: 3ns *involves *2ns *and* 1ns;
2ns *involves *1ns.

JAS: Applying this to the "podium" diagram, 1=essence, 2=existence, and
3=reality.  What about the inner portions?  I suggest that 1/2=inherence,
2/3=persistence, and 1/2/3=governance.

GR: I think that inherence, persistence and governance make good
terminological sense in consideration of "the inner portions" of the podium
based on CP 1.175. But as I see it the Aristotelian terminology of NEM
4:292-300, "form for 1ns, matter for 2ns, and entelechy for 3ns" is
potentially misleading, especially if we forget that for Peirce 'form' is,
as you commented, Jon, "whatever it is in itself, irrespective of anything
else/" (1=essence), matter as "all that it is in reference to something
else than itself" (2=existence), and entelechy as "that which brings things
together" (3=reality)."

In short, I see no reason to employ the Aristotelian terminology, loaded as
it is with pre-Peircean notions especially of form. 'Matter' and
'entelechy' fare somewhat better, but still bring with them the
Aristotelian associations. I think that it is possible and desirable to
move beyond these in Peircean scholarship.

Indeed, I found it helpful to my own understanding to substitute Peirce's
terms for Aristotle's in distinguishing the inner relations. So: "the
determination of "[the existent] by [essence]" (1/2=inherence), "the
reaction of [existent] with [existent] " (2=existence), and "a
determination of [an existent] to [an essential form]" (1/2/3=governance).

Jon, your quoting Colapietro helped clarify the following, I think, truly
important notion: that "reality, is *persistence*, is regularity (or,
persistence *in/as* regularity?).

VC:  Existence is the mode of being of an individual substance considered
as a continuity of *reactions*; insofar as it is *actually *reacting
against other things, it exists. Persistence is the mode of being of such a
substance seen as a *continuity *of reactions; insofar as it endures
throughout a series of reactions, it persists. In other words, existence
(because it is an instance of opposition) designates the aspect of
secondness exhibited by any individual substance, while persistence
(because it is a case of continuity) designates one of the ways in which it
manifests thirdness. (Vincent Colapietro, *Peirce's Approach to the Self: A
Semiotic Perspective on Human Subjectivity,* 83).

In a word, 'persistence' is the existential form of continuity.

JAS:  Peirce describes two different classes of possible states of things
that may be realized at a lapse of time--*prolonged **states*, which
are *realized
at any instant within a lapse; *and *gradual **states**, which are realized
only at an entire lapse during which a change occurs from one **prolonged
state** to another*, these two states being "logically incompossible" (see
NEM 3:1074-1077, c.1905).  Such diversity requires *real *qualities to be
continuous (1/2/3), rather than isolated (1), and *real *things to persist
(2/3), not merely exist (2). (*Boldface* and *underlining *as emphasis
added by GR.)

To repeat: In a nutshell, real *qualities* are *continuous* (not isolated);
real *things* persist (not just exist).

I expect to spend more time reflecting on the following quotations (which
I've read numerous times over the years) and your succinct comment which
separates them.

CSP:  Time with its continuity logically involves some other kind of
continuity than its own. Time, as the universal form of change, cannot
exist unless there is something to undergo change [2/3] and to undergo a
change continuous in time there must be a continuity of changeable
qualities [1/2/3]. (CP 6.132, EP 1:323, 1892)

JAS: This is one specific sense in which all three categories are always
present within our existing universe.

CSP:  I chiefly insist upon continuity, or Thirdness, and, in order to
secure to thirdness its really commanding function, I find it indispensable
fully [to] recognize that it is a third, and that Firstness, or chance, and
Secondness, or Brute reaction, are other elements, without the independence
of which Thirdness would not have anything upon which to operate. (CP
6.202, 1898)

Best,

Gary

"Time is not a renewable resource." gnox

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:24 PM Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>