}Robert - thank you so much for your '76 definitions of the Sign'.
It's an excellent source - As you say- there are 'impossible
triangles and confusions'. Your list of what Peirce actually mean by
the sign-as-a- triad - is excellent.

        Edwina
 On Tue 05/05/20  6:19 AM , Robert Marty robertmarty...@gmail.com
sent:
        Gary, Jon Alan, List

        I fully respect yours concerns and of course it is clear that
everyone can invest them in the podium that is quite honored. For the
part concerning me I see no difficulty in using "involution" rather
than "presupposition" and I do not think I have strayed too far from
Peirce with "presupposition" since I think I have shown on the basis
of Frege's definition that the relationships of determination between
the elements of the phenomena as stated by Peirce verified this
assertion. For I just need to inscribe the abstract arrows of the
mathematical object that I build "without reference to their real
existence", within Peirce's empirical discourse. C.S. Peirce, 1976:
NEM, vol. IV, 1122 :

          "It is obvious that a Possible cannot determine anything other
than a Possible, and likewise a Necessitant cannot be determined by
anything other than a Necessitant "  ( letter to Lady Welby of
December 23, 1908)

        I understood very early on that I had to trace a personal path in
what J.M. Chevalier quite rightly called "Le continent peircien"
(https://www.academia.edu/3383353/La_d%C3%A9couverte_du_continent_peircien)
  but by justifying at every step a very close and verifiable
proximity to the fundamental conceptions of phaneroscopy and
semiotics. And when we received in Perpignan the MS microfilms that
we had ordered from the Harvard Library (32 reels of 100m each - 3.2
km!) I don't regret my decision ... I spent a year extracting all the
definitions of the sign that Peirce could have imagined and I was not
disappointed since I found 76; they're on peirce.org [1]. I have
taken this effort when I realized the incredible number of scholars
who thought in a non-critical way about the definition of the sign
they attributed to Peirce. In particular, I have seen impossible
triangles and confusions, especially with the Saussurian tradition,
with the conceptions of Hjemslev and in the end of Greimas and his
Ecole de Paris. It would have taken a titanic job to denounce all
distortions, fanciful borrowings and undue annexations.

        A practical consequence is that I have not acquired the skill to
discuss the relevance of the intellectual investments that can be
made on the podium. Let me reveal the picture came to mind when I
read Jon Alan's first and almost immediate reaction above; it is not
derogatory: I saw a child jumping from level 3 on the steps of the
podium and I imagined all the possible choices he could make to get
down. Obviously there are 10 and even there are 6 in the inner
cylinder 3 in the outside cylinder and only 1 outside the two
cylinders. To each his obsessions! Since this (dynamic) image no
longer leaves my mind because I wonder if it does not open another
way to go to the lattice of the classes of signs that would not go
through the constraints of purely algebraic formalization.  I think
about it often ...

        Best regards

        Robert
 Le mar. 5 mai 2020 à 06:04, Gary Richmond < gary.richm...@gmail.com