Gary F., Jon A., List:

Coincidentally, Peirce wrote a somewhat similar passage thirty years later,
in the manuscript whose complete transcription I distributed over the
weekend.

CSP:  [E]very general sign, even a "term," involves, at least, a
rudimentary assertion. For what is a "term," or "class-name" supposed to
be? It is something which signifies, or, to use J. S. Mill's objectionable
terminology, "connotes" certain characters, and thereby denotes whatever
possesses those characters. That is, it draws the attention to an idea, or
mental construction, or diagram, of something possessing those characters,
and the possession of those characters is kept in the foreground of
consciousness. What does that mean unless that the listener says to himself
"that which is *here* (before the attention) possesses such and such
characters"? That may not be quite a *proposition*, or fully an assertion,
because the object of attention being in this case nothing but a mental
creation, the listener does not tell himself what it is that is "here." It
is, at least, not an assertion about the real world. But none the less it
contains the assertoric element, the mental copula. When a listener hears
the term "light," he proceeds to *create* in his mind an image thereof ...
. Until this process is performed, the name excites no meaning in the mind
of the listener. (R 787:30-31[34-35], CP 2.341, c. 1895-6)

A term by itself is a "general sign" that "signifies ... certain
characters, and thereby denotes whatever possesses those characters."  This
is exactly what I mean when I say that a term's immediate interpretant
(whatever it *possibly could* signify) is its definition within the system
of sign types to which it belongs, and its immediate object (whatever
it *possibly
could* denote) is anything that satisfies this definition.  Moreover, as a
symbolic (3ns) sign it *involves *both indexical (2ns) and iconic (1ns)
aspects, by means of which "it draws the attention to an idea, or mental
construction, or diagram."  After all, as Peirce explains earlier in the
text, each term in an assertion serves as an index that "directs attention"
to one of its subjects (R 787:16[20], CP 2.336); and as Robert pointed out
to start us down this whole road, "the only way of directly communicating
an idea [or mental construction] is by means of an icon [such as a
diagram]" (23[27], 2.278).