Gary F., List:

It is interesting that you see this paragraph as anticipating what Peirce
would later call phenomenology or phaneroscopy.  I believe that you are
correct, although he clearly did not yet recognize any such distinction
himself; in fact, he went on to state that "Philosophy, in the sense
defined, will have two branches, logic and metaphysics, resting
respectively upon observed facts relating to knowledge, or representation,
and upon observed facts relating to being" (RS 787(s):2[7], c. 1895-6).  He
explicitly excludes esthetics and ethics in what you quoted, and a few
years later he still maintains that "an analysis of what appears in the
world," which is what leads to the discovery of the categories, falls
within the scope of logic as opposed to metaphysics (CP 2.84, 1902).  I
also find it noteworthy that in the same manuscript, one of the corrections
that Peirce offers of his earlier views pertains to the characterization of
the categories themselves.

CSP:  In 1867, although I had proof (duly published) that there was only a
third category of characters besides non-relative characters and dual
relations, yet I had not discovered that plural relations (which it had not
occurred to me were sometimes not reducible to conjunctions of dual
relations) constitute that third class. I saw that there must be a
conception of which I could make out some features, but being unfamiliar
with it in its generality, I quite naturally mistook it for that conception
of *representation* which I obtained by generalizing for this very purpose
the idea of a sign. I did not generalize enough, a form of error into which
greater minds than mine might fall. I supposed the third class of
characters was quite covered by the representative characters. Accordingly,
I declared all characters to be divisible into *qualities* (nonrelative
characters), *relations*, and *representations*, instead of into
non-relative characters, dual relations, and plural relations. (R
787:26[30], CP 1.565)

Non-relative (monadic) characters, dual (dyadic) relations, and plural
(triadic) relations are more explicitly aligned with *mathematical *notions
of 1ns/2ns/3ns than qualities/relations/representations and what he
eventually calls "the purest conceptions" of the categories--"quality,
reaction, and mediation" (CP 1.530, 1903).