Jeff,
I strongly agree with the points you made in this thread.
My only recommendation is to modify the last line below by replacing
"seems to involve facts"  with "requires facts and
actions".
Peirce made the strongest possible justification for
that change:  "The elements of every concept enter into logical
thought at the gate of perception and make their exit at the gate of
purposive action; and whatever cannot show its passports at both those two
gates is to be arrested as unauthorized  by reason."  (CP
5.212)
That quotation by Peirce is based on his many years of work
in work in logic, mathematics, and experimental science.  His late
writings are the distilled essence of his experience.  It's impossible to
appreciate their meaning without relating them to that work.  Although we
can't go back to the 19th c and observe him directly, we can relate his
late writings to his descriptions of his work -- for example, his book on
Photometric Researches -- *and* to 20th and 21st c work on similar
subjects.

This approach to reading important texts in the history of science
has been adopted by schools such as St. John's [College, Annapolis, MD]
where students learn to
understand Newton's inquiries and theories by building an experimental
apparatus--such as the one Galileo used for
 rolling balls down an inclined plane--and by then making the
measurements for themselves. Having done so, they then draw out the
conclusions from those measurements and compare their results to
Newton's.

In a number of places, Peirce says that something similar must be
done to understand his inquiries in philosophy. Readers need to carry
out the inquiries themselves and then check to see if they arrive at the
 same result. Carrying out these inquiries seems
 to involve facts that go beyond the words written on the pages.