Cf: Problems In Philosophy • 12
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/11/10/problems-in-philosophy-12/

Re: R.J. Lipton and K.W. Regan • The Night Of The Ethical Algorithm
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/11/02/the-night-of-the-ethical-algorithm/

Re: K.W. Regan • The Election Night Time Warp
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/11/03/the-election-night-time-warp/

Re: Ontolog Forum
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/xwFwCa0j8qI/overview
::: John Sowa
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ontolog-forum/xwFwCa0j8qI/LDGWQr9mCAAJ

JFS: C.S. Peirce made a very clear and sharp distinction between
     formal or mathematical logic and logic as semiotic.
     Short summary:  When Peirce uses the word ‘logic’ by itself,
     it's important to check the context to see whether he's talking
     about formal logic or logic as semiotic.

Dear John,

The first post in this series was prompted by a post 4 years ago
( https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/you-think-we-have-problems/ )
on the "Gödel's Lost Letter and P=NP" blog which jumped from the frying pan
of problems in programming to the fire of problems in philosophy.  Then last
week two more posts, linked above, made the leap to two of the most flagrant
problems in politics, namely, (1) the passage from effective and efficient
algorithms to ethical algorithms and (2) the perils of navigating turbulent
seas in a ship of state guided by elective representation, where the people
pick their pilots from among themselves to represent their collective will
and whatever wits they can muster.

Bearing all that in mind, I would like to keep exploring the ancient issues
of aesthetics, ethics, and logic from our contemporary algorithmic perspective.
There the descriptive and normative orientations to knowledge parallel the
systems-theoretic dimensions of information and control.  And there we find
normative sciences appearing under the banner of "design sciences".  In that
frame the art of crafting a ship of state becomes a question of optimal design
for a human society.

When it comes to logic, then, a generic conception will do for now,
leaving Peirce's definition of logic as formal semiotic and the
fine points of the difference between “mathematical logic”
and “mathematics of logic” to another day.

Regards,

Jon