John, List:

JFS: I admit that Peirce does not use the word scroll in r670.   But he
draws some scrolls, and he shows one EG as a scroll and another with shaded
ovals and says that they are "equivalent".

I appreciate the admission, and I already acknowledged the latter fact in
an earlier post, even attaching an image of the EGs that Peirce provides in
the manuscript.

JFS: That is a clear indication that he was reconsidering something that he
had previously considered heavenly (or paradisaical).

Baseless speculation. For one thing, "paradisaical" is an allusion to the
Garden of Eden, not heaven. For another, as I have pointed out twice
before, the "cellar doors" remark pertains to "metaphysical speculation" in
the context of a passage that is entirely about the line of identity.
Remember, "nobody can claim that anything other than an exact quotation is
what Peirce intended" (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-05/msg00045.html).

JFS: The absence of the word scroll in R670. L231, L378, and L376 is
further evidence that it was banished to the nether regions.

The absence of something is hardly evidence of anything. As I have noted in
the past, an argument from silence is one of the weakest there is. Again,
"nobody can claim that anything other than an exact quotation is what
Peirce intended."

JFS: That is his fundamental insight in R270:  a sign of illation in the
notation itself is irrelevant.

The relevant manuscript is R 670, and Peirce says no such thing in it. One
more time, "nobody can claim that anything other than an exact quotation is
what Peirce intended."

JFS: The evidence that the EGs of 1911 are Peirce's best version is
overwhelming.

Best from the standpoint of practical efficiency and pedagogical clarity,
sure. Best from the standpoint of philosophical rigor, absolutely not.
Different purposes result in different evaluations. Moreover, Peirce
himself never calls it his "best version," referring instead to the Lowell
Lectures and accompanying syllabus as "The better exposition of 1903" (RL
376, 1911 Dec 6), and later describing "the one Dr. Carus rejected" (ibid)
all the way back in 1897 as "the most lucid and interesting paper I have
ever written" (RL 477, 1913 Nov 6). Say it with me, "nobody can claim that
anything other than an exact quotation is what Peirce intended."

JFS: Nobody -- not you, nor Ahti, nor Francesco, nor anybody else -- has
shown any evidence to the contrary.

One of us routinely provides numerous and often lengthy quotations to
support his interpretations, while the other relies almost entirely on bare
assertions. As for Ahti and Francesco, they have written and edited several
books and numerous papers about Peirce's thought, both together and
separately. In particular, Ahti has now compiled *Logic of the Future* as
the definitive collection of Peirce's texts about EGs, many of them never
previously published. Frankly, those two men are far and away more
accomplished and more authoritative Peirce scholars than either of us could
ever hope to be.

In any event, whether the evidence for one side or the other is
"overwhelming" or merely persuasive is for the reader to decide. I rest my
case.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian