John, List
I totally agree with you. This can be seen very clearly in Tommi
Vehkavaara's compilation of the classifications of sciences from 1902 to
1911. We can see that the Mathematics at level (AI) are divided in:

                         (AIa) *Mathematics of Logic (e.g.*,* formal logic
in contemporary sense)*
                         (AIb) Mathematics of Discrete Series
                         (AIc) Mathematics of Continua and Pseudo-continua

and the level (AII) is divided as follows
 :
                         (AII) Cenoscopy -Philosophia prima- positive
science (which rests upon familiar, general experience) Special sciences -
positive sciences (based on special experiences, discover new phenomena)
                                       (AIIa)
Phenomenology(1902-3,1906,1911) -Phaneroscopy (1904-)
                                       (AIIb) Normative Sciences the
Normative Sciences are divided in:
                                                  (AIIbi) Esthetics
(Axiagastics, 1905
                                                  (AIIbii) Ethics -
Anthetics/Practics (1906)
                                                  (AIIbiii)*Logic- Science
of general laws of Signs -Formal Semiotic(Semeiotic)- theory of
(self)-controlled thought*

Moreover, in my article on the "Podium" in section 3, I pointed out that
this confusion was at the origin of the elimination of mathematics in the
secondary literature on Peirce, mainly that concerning semiotics (I quote
Houser, Belluci and Pietarinen, and De Tienne). In fact, by using the logic
of the level (AIIbiii) in which Mathematical Logic is implemented from the
level (AIa) on which it depends, one can ignore the level (AIb) of Discrete
Mathematics in which the mathematical structures that operate on
Phenomenology (Phaneroscopy) are located, thus creating an "illusion of
mathematical structures" despite the loss of the constitutive relations. It
is a more or less conscious avoidance strategy, depending on the case.

Robert Marty
Honorary Professor; Ph.D. Mathematics; Ph.D. Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*