Gary F., List:

I have been wondering exactly "what André means by 'gradually ordered'"
ever since you posted that slide.

Peirce seems to use "gradual" as a rough synonym for "continuous" when
talking about change or variation, such as in NEM 2:248 (1895), CP
7.283-284 (c. 1895), and NEM 3:1076-1077 (c. 1905). However, you are
probably right that here it has more to do with the root word "grade," for
which Peirce provided the definition in the *Century Dictionary*--"A step,
degree, or rank in any series or order; relative position or standing as
regards quantity, quality, office, etc." He also prepared the entry for
"graduate," which includes definitions such as "mark with degrees, regular
intervals, or divisions"; "arrange or place in a series of grades or
gradations"; and (as an adjective) "arranged in successive steps or
degrees."

Perhaps André is merely attempting to preclude the misconception that
Peirce's three categories are *sequentially *ordered, as if 1ns comes
first, 2ns comes second, and 3ns comes third in some sense. Instead, they
are arranged by relative *complexity *as illustrated by Robert Marty's
podium diagram and reflected in Peirce's specific application of
phenomenological/phaneroscopic analysis to the triadic relation of
representation or mediation. In that context, the sign, its object, and its
interpretant are respectively a First, a Second, and a Third (CP 2.274, EP
2:272-273, 1903); or put another way, the first (simplest) correlate, the
second (middling) correlate, and the third (most complex) correlate (CP
2.233-237, EP 2:289-290, 1903).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian