Robert,
I changed the subject line to emphasize the word
element, Which is
Peirce's own word for the constituents of
the phaneron.  In fact, the
word element, which occurs over
800 times in CP, is one of Peirce's
favorite words.  He replaced the
term speculative grammar with
Stechiology (from the
Greek stoicheia for elements).  But stechiology
does not
discover elements; it is the practice of naming and
organizing the
elements that have already been discovered.That passage you quoted is
important:

CSP:  an obvious principle which is as purely a priori
as a principle
well can be, since it is involved in the very idea of
the Phaneron as
containing constituents of which some are logically
unanalyzable and
others analyzable, promptly reduces that subjective
possibility to an
absurdity.  I mean the principle that whatever is
logically involved
in an ingredient of the Phaneron is itself an
ingredient of the
Phaneron; for it is in the mind even though it be
only implicitly so.
(EP2:364)

Another important quotation
that explicitly uses the word element:

CSP:
Phenomenology is that branch of science which is treated in
Hegel’s
Phenomenologie des Geistes (a work far too inaccurate to be
recommended to any but mature scholars, though perhaps the most
profound ever written) in which the author seeks to make out what are
the elements, or, if you please, the kinds of elements, that are
invariably present in whatever is, in any sense, in mind.  (EP 2:267,
1903)

The categories and hypoicons, the foundation for
semeiotic, are
derived from the phaneron by applying the three
branches of pure
mathematics:  formal logic; discrete mathematics
(arithmetic, graphs,
and discrete sets); and continuous mathematics
(geometry, topology,
and uncountable sets).

We must also
distinguish the term formal logic, which occurs 119 times
in
CP, from logic proper, which occurs just 7 times in CP.
DeMorgan
coined the term formal logic, and Peirce adopted it
for every logic
notation developed by himself or others.  Note its
importance:

CSP:  The little that I have contributed to
pragmatism (or, for that
matter, to any other department of
philosophy), has been entirely the
fruit of this outgrowth from
formal logic, and is worth much more than
the small sum total of the
rest of my work, as time will show.  (CP
5.469, R318, 1907)

CSP:  My trichotomy is plainly of the family stock of Hegel’s three
stages of thought, — an idea that goes back to Kant, and I know not
how much further.  But the arbitrariness of Hegel’s procedure,
utterly
unavoidable at the time he lived, — and presumably, in less
degree,
unavoidable now, or at any future date, — is in great measure
avoided
by my taking care never to miss the solid support of
mathematically
exact formal logic beneath my feet....  (EP 2:428,
R318, 1907)

Hegelism.