Jon, Edwinia, List:

The citation
"What, in a general way, does the Diagram of Existential Graphs represent the
mode of structure of the Phaneron to be like? The question calls for a
comparison, and in answering it a little flight of fancy will be in order. It
represents the structure of the Phaneron to be quite like that of a chemical
compound. ... Each Elementary Graph, like each chemical element, has its
definite Valency ... . This is resemblance enough. (NEM 4:320-321, 1906)”

further confirms the extraordinarily deep role of the science of chemistry in
the deepest structures of CSP’s rhetorical stance and semantic forms.

This strikes me as being an extraordinary surprise!

Why?
Because a chemical compound has a chemical formula.
Because the chemical formula has a specific RELATIVE weight.
Because the chemical elements are bound together by valence, thereby becoming
RELATIVES.
Because these three terms are RELATED by exact mathematical calculations from
semiotic references from the table of elements and from the quali-signs and
indices of individual compounds.

Consequently, these propositional terms unite unequivocally the existence, the
logic and the semiotics of natural objects.  Hence the logic of relatives. The
assertion rests on human experience, augmented by simple mathematics of
addition.

These cause-effect theses follow from the semiotics proposed by John Dalton at
the turn of the 19th Century.

While modern chemistry requires further information to define an individual
molecular compound, these implications are historically reasonable.

The last words,  "This is resemblance enough.” is equally surprising.

Enough for what?

In the chemical sciences at that time, these three terms were sufficient to
experimentally determine the molecular structures of many compounds. And to
recognize that that the valences of elements varied with the relations to other
elements.

Thus, these assertions are sufficient for the thesis that the semantics of
trichotomy was grounded on the sufficiency of these terms for analysis and
synthesis of chemical compounds. Consequently, it can be asserted that the
trichotomy was a direct restatement of the logic of chemistry as it was
understood at that time.

What other logical assertions are supported by this conceptualization of the
phaneron?

In particularly, what are the implications for the current hypothesizes that
relate CSP’s writings to biosemiotics?

Cheers

Jerry