Jon, List,

JAS: I agree that some authors unfortunately "blur the important
distinction" between "the *formal *logic of relations/relatives as pure
mathematics and its *application *to terms and propositions within the
normative science of logic as semeiotic." To be honest, it is likely that I
have done so myself at times.

GR: It seems to me that the very language of "relative *terms*" and "
*propositional* forms" makes it all too easy to blur the distinction.

You quoted me, then commented:

GR: You [JAS] quoted Peirce as writing, "The Phaneron [is] itself far too
elusive for direct observation." ... But isn't such "direct observation"
the method -- and in a sense -- the very *essence *of phaneroscopy?

JAS: [. . . ]  It certainly does seem squarely contradictory to his
*definition *of phaneroscopy just two years earlier.

CSP: There is nothing quite so *directly open to observation* as phanerons
... . What I term *phaneroscopy* is that study which, supported by the *direct
observation* of phanerons

Well, as a famous American poet once wrote:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.) ― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
<https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/28117>

See Gary F's online version of the 1892 edition of Leaves of Grass (
https://www.gnusystems.ca/grass/Leaves0.htm)

JAS: [. . .] Might *studying *the phaneron using EGs correspond to the
aspects of phaneroscopy that he spells out in the earlier definition
(quoted above) as coming *after *direct observation and generalization?
This would again be the *application *of formal/mathematical logic
*within *phaneroscopy--or
perhaps what you have proposed to call "trichotomic category theory" as a
subsequent branch of a broader science of phenomenology, in which
phaneroscopy as the first branch is *limited to* direct observation and
generalization.

GR: EGs might very well prove to be a powerful analytical tool *succeeding*
the "direct observation of phanerons" (which observation alone ought to be
called "phanersocopy" in my opinion). In CP 1.286, which you quoted, Peirce
goes on to describe the study of  phenomenology beyond the direct
observation of phanerons as including the following (I've added numbers in
brackets to emphasize the several facets of phenomenology which Peirce
thought ought to follow phaneroscopic observation.

CSP: . . .[1] generalizing its observations, signalizes several very broad
classes of phanerons; [2] describes the features of each; [3] shows that
although they are so inextricably mixed together that no one can be
isolated, yet it is manifest that their characters are quite disparate;
then [4] proves, beyond question, that a certain very short list comprises
all of these broadest categories of phanerons there are; and [5] finally
proceeds to the laborious and difficult task of enumerating the principal
subdivisions of those categories. (CP 1.286, 1904)

JAS: Might *studying *the phaneron using EGs correspond to the aspects of
phaneroscopy that he spells out in the earlier definition (quoted above) as
coming *after *direct observation and generalization? This would again be
the *application *of formal/mathematical logic *within *phaneroscopy--or
perhaps what you have proposed to call "trichotomic category theory" as a
subsequent branch of a broader science of phenomenology, in which
phaneroscopy as the first branch is *limited to* direct observation and
generalization.

GR: You've included "generalization" as a part of phaneroscopy (i.e.,
observation of the phaneron). I hadn't been thinking of it that way because
"generalizing" obviously goes beyond "observation." But you might be right.
For a time I thought that De Tienne's notion of "iconoscopy" (modified)
suggested* just* that generalization and might be developed as a second
branch of phenomenology. As you know, Andre has said off List that *that*
was *not *his intention (however, he did title his paper "Iconoscopy
Between Phaneroscopy and Semeiotic" so that he would seem to be suggesting
that *something* ought to follow the direct observation of phanerons. For
his paper, see:
(*https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/rssi/2013-v33-n1-2-3-rssi02379/1035282ar/
<https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/rssi/2013-v33-n1-2-3-rssi02379/1035282ar/>*
)

Some of the other work Peirce stated that the study of phenomenology ought
to include (in CP 1.286 quoted with added numbers just above) might be
included in a second branch of phenomenology however it comes to be
instituted and developed, and whatever it comes to be called (Andre
comments in his Iconoscopy paper that "iconoscopy" is probably not the best
name for it; he's undoubtedly correct, esp. as it borrows language from
semeiotic grammar, viz., 'icon'. As I recall he thought something like the
thoroughly ugly term, 'imagography' (?) might be closer to what he had in
mind as the paper discusses images throughout.

At the moment I'm thinking that a third branch, "trichotomic category
theory," would be concerned, at least principally, with only the last item
in that list such that the study of phenomenology would conclude with "the
laborious and difficult task of enumerating the principal subdivisions of
those categories." However, *all* of this is mere guesswork at present.

It is possible -- perhaps likely -- that EGs could play an important part
in those other proposed branches of phenomenology following phaneroscopy,
but I'd like to see a demonstration of that; I don't believe that it was
something Peirce himself ever attempted, let alone any student of
phenomenology since. But as he provided us with numerous examples of his
own phaneroscopic observation it ought to be doable.

Best,

Gary R

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 10:28 PM Gary Richmond <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> *application **to terms and propositions within the normative science of
> logic as semeiotic. *(Emphasis added by GR)
>

> I whole-heartedly agree that making this distinction is essential. Yet, in
> my experience there are discussions of the *logic of relatives *as
> purportedly providing the mathematical principles which will become the
> basis for phenomenologists expecting to find -- and subsequently
> *actually* finding examples of manifestations of the Universal Categories
> -- which seem to me to, at very least, blur the important distinction you
> make above. Occasionally I've had a sense  that an author is *not* discussing
> pure mathematics, the simplest mathematics (including the *logic of
> relatives*) but, rather, exactly the applications of these to *logic as
> semeiotic*. In the days and weeks ahead I'll offer examples of this,
> perhaps including some from Atkins' book.
>
> You quoted Peirce as writing, "The Phaneron [is] itself far too elusive
> for direct observation."
>
> But then what are we to make of Peirce's directing us elsewhere to
> phaneroscopic observations of qualities of feeling, to existential
> actions/reactions, to representations,  thoughts, signs, say: 1ns (e.g., a
> red color), or 2ns (the manifestation of a dual action, e.g., a loud sound
> suddenly breaking the silence), or 3ns (e.g., thoughts of these as signs of
> 1ns and 2ns)? Does Peirce not argue elsewhere that it is possible to
> phenomenologically observe *whatever comes before the mind* unencumbered
> by mathematical (including valentally structural) or logical thoughts?
>
> The quotation continues:
>
> What, in a general way, does the Diagram of Existential Graphs represent
> the mode of structure of the Phaneron to be like? The question calls for a
> comparison, and in answering it a little flight of fancy will be in order.
> It represents the structure of the Phaneron to be quite like that of a
> chemical compound. ... Each Elementary Graph, like each chemical element,
> has its definite Valency. . .
>
> In my opinion, valency and the reduction thesis are, in themselves, *not
> at all sufficient* to establish phenomenology as a science; let's say
> that they are necessary, but not sufficient. No doubt one can employ EGs to
> analyze phenomenological manifestations *after the fact* of phaneroscopic
> observation. But monadicity, dyadicity, and triadicity are *totally void
> of content*. They are, indeed, the "modes of structure" of the phaneron
> for Peirce. But it would seem to me that he contradicts himself here (in
> consideration of *many *other discussions) in saying  that "the Phaneron
> [is] itself far too elusive for direct observation." If that were so,
> then phaneroscopy would amount to, well, virtually nothing: it would be
> empty of content. I'm fairly certain that there are some logicians who hold
> that view.
>
> But isn't such "direct observation" the method -- and in a sense -- the

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”