Robert, List:

I am glad that we agree on the interpretation of CP 5.589. As for CP 3.559,
there is no "magic trick" involved in simply recognizing that its last
sentence is a *summary *of the entire paragraph. That is why it begins with
"Thus, ..." Moreover, I was not laying out the *chronological *sequence of
events, which is actually (2) (3) (1) (4). This is evident if we replace
(1) with the following sentences, which say basically the same thing and
come between (3) and (4) in the original text.

CSP: Now the mathematician does not conceive it to be any part of his duty
to verify the facts stated. He accepts them absolutely without question. He
does not in the least care whether they are correct or not.

Instead, I first quoted the summary (1) since it succinctly makes the point
that I was primarily emphasizing, and then the other relevant phrases in
order (2) (3) (4).

I also did not claim or imply that the phaneroscopist is "now an engineer."
Peirce *begins *the paragraph by stating, "A simple way of arriving at a
true conception of the mathematician's business is to consider what service
it is which he is called in to render in the course of *any scientific or
other inquiry*" (emphasis added). He gives as examples not only an
engineer, but also "a business company (say, an insurance company), or a
buyer (say, of land), or a physicist." I see no reason why it would somehow
be illegitimate to add a phaneroscopist to this list.

For the record, I have no issue with the actual quote from de Waal, just
how it was misrepresented as applied to the current List discussion. In
fact, I have previously cited Daniel Campos likewise discussing Peirce's
identification of imagination, concentration, and generalization as the
intellectual abilities required for mathematical reasoning, and thus for
the proper practice of phaneroscopy as well as pure mathematics (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-07/msg00052.html). Please
stop repeatedly alleging hostility to mathematics and mathematicians where
it does not exist.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian