Jon AS, List,

 Before saying anything else, I recommend two articles in E. C. Moore & R.
S. Robin, eds,,(1964) Studies in the Philosophy of C. S. Peirce:  Victor
Lowe, "Peirce and Whitehead as Metaphysicians"; and C. Hartshorne, "Charles
Peirce's 'One Contribution to Philosophy' and his most serious mistake".

 Lowe shows a great deal of commonality in the views of Peirce and
Whitehead.  Hartshorne claims that Whitehead's Process and Reality was far
better than Peirce's remarks about God and his relationship to the
universe.  He maintains that Peirce's mistake was his failure to recognize
the importance of processes.  I agree with both of them.  But I suspect
that Peirce himself was beginning to recognize the need for processes in
his remark in L231 (NEM 3:191) where he discussed his desire to go beyond
two-dimensional EGs to "stereoscopic  moving images".

 Compared to Whitehead's book, Peirce;s comments about 'effete ,mind' just
add  some meaningless jargon to Schelling.

 Re previous notes:  Did you read those slides:
http://jfsowa.com/talks/natlog.pdf ?   They don't show that communication
by language is impossible, but they do show that the meaning of words is
(a) always context dependent and (b) shifting by microsenses  (small
continuous amounts) from one context to another

 JFS: Every interpretation by anybody is always dependent on the context,
which includes (1) their own background and education, (2) what they have
read of Peirce's other writings and how they interpreted them, (3) Peirce's
own understanding of the issues and his intentions in writing the MS being
considered.on the dates he wrote it and revised it.

 JAS: No one is suggesting otherwise

 On the contrary, you keep insisting that you are reaching some kind of
definitive conclusion.  You are constantly insisting on some definitive
conclusion in cases where Peirce himself is tentative.  Just read some of
his discussions with Lady Welby, where he suggests various options
tentatively.

 JAS: as I said before, members of the community of scholars inductively
evaluate each interpretative hypothesis....

 A community of scholars requires a supportive collaboration, not constant
bickering.   At one point, you asked why I more often take Edwina's
position instead of yours.  The answer is that she (and most other
subscribers) have a more coilaborative attitude.  But instead of trying to
reach a consensus, you lash out with some attack.

 For example, I said that my comments were based on the issues discussed in
the natlog.pdf text.  That is the context for what I wrote.  Did you read
that before attacking what I wrote?

 JFS: ... nobody's context is sufficiently similar to Peirce's that they
can make any claims that their interpretation is what Peirce intended for
the purpose of that reader.

 JAS: I reject this assertion...

 There you go again.  Instead of  trying to understand the issues, you lash
out with an attack.   I am not claiming that it's impossible to get a
useful interpretation for many purposes.  But I am saying that what Peirce
wrote is highly context dependent.  Furthermore, his ideas were constantly
developing over the years.  Two MSS with the same words in different years
may have very different interpretations.

 In some cases , (for example R699 and R670),  the same words in different
months may have radically different meanings. Fortunately, those texts are
about mathematical issues for which the formalism is fundamental, and the
words are secondary.
   JFS: As Peirce himself said, mathematics (which includes mathematical
logic) is the only subject in which anyone who is familiar with that
version of math is qualified to make definitive interpretations and
corrections.

 JAS:  For any claims about what Peirce believed, please give exact
quotations

 On mathematical issues, no quotations are necessary.  In mathematics, a
student may correct a professor's mistake, and the professor will thank the
student.  I had done that when I was a student, and I have had students who
corrected my mistakes. Those corrections are always appreciated. (or almost
always).

 JFS: On anything written in a natural language, nobody can claim "a high
degree of confidence" for other readers who have a similar level of
education.

 JAS: This statement is self-refuting since it is written in natural
language. If it were true, then nobody would be able to claim "a high
degree of confidence" about what it means, let alone evaluate it as true.

 Since you didn't understand the context in which I intended it, that shows
that I was right..  Peirce himself realized that very few people understood
what he was writing.
   JAS: Again, the claim that all natural language is hopelessly vague and
ambiguous is patently absurd

 There you go again.  Instead of trying to understand what I meant, you add
the words 'all' and 'hopelessly.

 And please note that Peirce himself was frustrated by the difficulty of
getting anyone to understand his most important ideas.  His longest and
closest friend, William James, failed to understand most of what he was
trying to say.  Note how thankful Peirce was tp get si[[supportive comments
from Lady Welby.

 JAS: Peirce effectively rejects it by advocating his carefully considered
ethics of terminology (CP 2.219-226, EP 2:263-266, 1903), stating therein
that "it is wrong to say that a good language is important to good thought,
merely; for it is of the essence of it."

 On the contrary, he understood the difficulty very well.  That is why he
was constantly trying to overcome the inevitable vagueness of ordinary
language by  inventing new terminology and writing rules that he hoped
other people would follow.

 If Max Fisch and his students hadn't devoted many years of hard work, none
of us would be reading his writings.