Jack, List:

JRKC: Doesn't this depend on how we define "inefficient"?

Peirce prepared the entry for "efficient" in the *Century Dictionary*.

*efficient*, *a*. and *n*. *I*. a. *1*. Producing outward effects; of a
nature to produce a resuit; active; causative.
*2*. Acting or able to act with due effect; adequate in performance;
bringing to bear the requisite knowledge, skill, and industry; capable;
competent: as, an *efficient *workman, rector, or commander.

In this context, it seems to me that Peirce is not using "efficient" in the
second sense of "doing more with less," but rather in the first sense of
having a *real effect* on the external world. As he says right before the
previously quoted sentences, "It appears to me that the essential function
of a sign is to render inefficient relations efficient,--not to set them
into action, but to establish a habit or general rule whereby they will act
on occasion" (CP 8.332, 1904). In other words, according to the physical
doctrine (nominalism/materialism/determinism), the *only *relations that
have a real effect on the external world are "the continued rectilinear
velocities with the accelerations that accompany different relative
positions of the particles." By contrast, Peirce's view is that signs and
semiosis enable *other *relations to have a real effect on the external
world that would otherwise be impotent to do so. As he writes elsewhere ...

CSP: But everybody who looks out of his eyes, and is not blinded by a
metaphysical theory, well knows that thoughts and other signs may bring
about great physical effects that are not, as such, signs. During a battle
an aide de camp may ride up to one of the commanding generals, and utter a
few words. As long as they are audible, it makes no difference how much or
little physical energy the waves of sound carry. The consequence is that in
a few minutes a great charge of cavalry takes place, tremendous, terrific;
and hundreds of men pass the gates of death. (R 318:169-170[14-15], 1907)

As for a sign being "something by knowing which we know something more,"
Peirce goes on to state in the succeeding sentences, "With the exception of
knowledge, in the present instant, of the contents of consciousness in that
instant (the existence of which knowledge is open to doubt) all our thought
and knowledge is by signs. A sign therefore is an object which is in
relation to its object on the one hand and to an interpretant on the other,
in such a way as to bring the interpretant into a relation to the object,
corresponding to its own relation to the object" (CP 8.332). The only way
to know something *at all*, and therefore the only way to know something
*more*, is by means of signs; and in accordance with Peirce's pragmatism,
the *ultimate *meaning of any acquired knowledge consists in
self-controlled habits of conduct, by which those signs have a real effect
on the external world.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian