Jack, list
        Good heavens - A cutting board example!
        1] No, the Y shaped format of the Semiosic Sign is irreducible. It's
hard to, on a computer, show this.
        2] But - take a DOT .  Put the dot right at the intersection of the
three lines of the Y.
        Now - think of this dot,  as the ground site, the attractor site,
for THREE Relations.
        3] a Relation is an informational interaction; it carries data.
Think of a Relation as a kind of connection link between one node and
another node.
        4] Now ..look at the Y shape.  Right at the centre of those three
spokes/Relations....that's the GROUND, that big Dot. [even though I
can't show it on this computer].
        Notice - there are THREE lines/Relations coming out of that Centre
'dot'. You cannot reduce these three; otherwise, it's not a semiosic
sign.
        5] The first Relation we'll consider is the vertical one. That's the
Representamen in itself. That's a mediating relation; it only
functions within the triad. It will be in a mode of 1ns, 2ns, 3ns.
Its function is to receive the input data, 'mediate it' according to
its stored laws, transform it'...and pass it on to the Interpretant
Relation.
        6] The next Relation is that between the Representamen and the
Dynamic Object.  That brings in the input data to that Representamen.
Also could be in a mode of 1ns, 2ns, 3ns.  [icon, index, symbol]
        7] the next Relation is that between the Representamen and the
Interpretant node. That relation is the result of the Representamen's
mediative actions on the input data. Also could be in a mode of 1ns,
2ns, 3ns.
        Hope this helps a bit.
        Edwina
 On Thu 07/10/21  1:05 PM , JACK ROBERT KELLY CODY
jack.cody.2...@mumail.ie sent:
    P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}    Marty, Edwina, List,
   Does the preference of the Y (over a triangle) essentially have to
do with the fact that if we remove one tail we have something which
resembles an index and if we remove all three tails, but leave the
point of the intersection (which I know would logically  be contained
within each line, but am just speculating) then we have a dot of sorts
which corresponds to icon?
   I have never really been able to make much headway with the
graphs... Also really good to see some discussions in past couple of
days.
   Best
   Jack