Gary F, Jon A.S., List,

The introduction of psychological considerations into this discussion is, I
think, important, posing perhaps some interesting challenges for Peirce's
logic.

GF: If two minds can be simultaneously *distinct* and *welded* into one
mind *in the sign*, and the exchange of connected signs we call a
“dialogue” can be that one sign, why can’t the distinct determinations of
the minds of utterer and interpreter be “welded” into the Cominterpretant?
There is no relation of antecedence between interpretants, as there is
between object, sign and interpretant.

GF: This may be paradoxical, and Peirce himself admits that the text quoted
above may be “loose talk,” but maybe that’s what it takes to sustain a
binocular
vision <https://gnusystems.ca/TS/gld.htm#x19> (both logical and
psychological) of semiosis. . . Anyway I think it’s compatible with your
own explanation.

That "loose talk" includes, however, this rather telling 'binocular'
comment:

"Accordingly, it is not merely *a fact of human Psychology, but a necessity
of Logic*, that every logical evolution of thought should be dialogic. (CP
4.551 <https://gnusystems.ca/ProlegomPrag.htm#4551>, 1906)

Yet even here the psychology/logic *distinction* is adumbrated, for
dialogic, Peirce writes, is a mere *fact* for psychology, but a *necessity*
for logic.

That passage in turn reminded me of this remark by Peirce to the effect
that approaching research into Speculative Rhetoric his rule of excluding
psychological content could be relaxed in the interest of making the last
branch of logic as semeiotic "practically useful."

CSP: In coming to Speculative Rhetoric, after the main conceptions of logic
have been well settled, there can be no serious objection to relaxing the
severity of our rule of excluding psychological matter, observations of how
we think, and the like. The regulation has served its end; why should it be
allowed now to hamper our endeavors to make methodeutic practically useful?
CP 2.107

A few years ago Ben Udell and I contributed a short chapter, "Logic is
rooted in the social principle, and vice versa" in a volume, C*harles
Sanders Peirce in His Own Words: 100 Years of Semiotics, Communication and
Cognition*, edited by Torkild Thellefsen and Ben Sorensen. I had long been
intrigued by the juxtaposition of these two snippets of Peirce. . .

1. Logic is rooted in the social principle. CP 2.653
2. So the social principle is rooted intrinsically in logic.CP 5.354

. . . and the invitation to contribute a chapter to that volume offered the
opportunity to think more deeply on that juxtaposition. I've more to say on
the topic of course, but for now I will only remark that Peirce was clear
that the work of science was essentially not that of individuals but of
communities of common scientific interest over sometimes great lengths of
time. But having run out of time as I approach a busy evening, for now I
will only leave those two snippets as a kind of intellectual koan for List
members to reflect on. Of course they're taken out of context (one can get
by reading the CP passages surrounding the two snippets and, perhaps,
reading Ben's and my paper). But even as given above, stripped of context,
I think they're worth contemplating.

Best,

Gary R

(PS I see Jon has also responded to your post, Gary, but I'd written most
of this before it appeared on the List and wanted to send it off today;
I'll  have to read Jon's post late this evening or tomorrow.)

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”