Gary F., List:

GF: Yes, that’s why I specified that the Intentional Interpretant was an
interpretant of *the dialogue in which he [Peirce] was currently engaged*,
which continues both before and after the utterance of the focal text

As a determination of the mind of the *utterer *of the specific sign being
analyzed--here the mind of Peirce as the author of the text--the
intentional interpretant is *only *an interpretant of the portion of the
overall dialogue that came *before *that utterance. It is *not* an
interpretant of the text *itself*, nor of the portion of the overall
dialogue that came *after *its utterance, including our reading of the
text. Instead, it is an *object *of those later signs. As R 1345 states,
there is a sense in which all three correlates of "the triad" (i.e., "the
representation") are signs (i.e., "representamens") undergoing semiosis.
Specifically, a sign that is an *interpretant *of a previous sign then
becomes an *object *of a subsequent sign. Again, these discrete correlates
are artifacts of phaneroscopic analysis, *entia rationis *abstracted at a
hypothetical instant of time from the real inferential process, which is
continuous.

GF: If two minds can be simultaneously *distinct* and *welded* into one
mind *in the sign*, and the exchange of connected signs we call a
“dialogue” can be that one sign, why can’t the distinct determinations of
the minds of utterer and interpreter be “welded” into the Cominterpretant?

According to Peirce, the intentional, effectual, and communicational (or
com-) interpretants are determinations of the mind of the utterer, the mind
of the interpreter, and the commens (or commind), respectively (EP 2:478).
He does not say that the first two interpretants/determinations are
"welded" into the third interpretant/determination, he says that the first
two (quasi-)minds are "welded" into the third (quasi-)mind in the uttered
sign itself (CP 4.551). In other words, the three
interpretants/determinations remain distinct, even though the two
communicating minds are "fused" into one mind. As a determination of that
commind, the cominterpretant is *internal *to the uttered sign, and
therefore must be the *immediate *interpretant of that sign. By contrast,
the intentional interpretant is a *dynamical *interpretant of a previous
sign, while the effectual interpretant is a *dynamical *interpretant of the
uttered sign.

GF: There is no relation of antecedence between interpretants, as there is
between object, sign and interpretant.

On the contrary, it seems to me that in a communicational context, the
intentional interpretant (utterer) antecedes the cominterpretant (sign),
which antecedes the effectual interpretant (interpreter)--at least
logically, if not temporally. When identifying objects and interpretants,
we always need to pay careful attention to the specific sign being
analyzed. In the case of a text, any connected determination of the mind of
its author is an object (antecedent) of that sign, and any connected
determination of the mind of a reader is an interpretant (consequent) of
that sign. In the case of a dialogue, any signs internal to it are
constituents of that sign itself, any connected signs preceding it are
constituents of its object (antecedent), and any connected signs succeeding
it are constituents of its interpretant (consequent). At least, that is how
I am inclined to see it right now.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian