 From: "Mike Bergman" <m...@mkbergman.com>
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 2:17 AM
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Signs, Types, and Tokens

Hi All,

This is a frequent question, between token and type, in knowledge
representation systems. Of course, the answer to this question is context.
When talking about a thing or its attributes, token is your choice. When
talking about external relationships or group membership, type is your
choice. Sometimes, for the same given thing, either might be appropriate,
again depending on context.

A real advance in the second version of the OWL language, one of the W3C
standards, was to enable a metamodeling technique called 'punning'.
Depending on context, the same 'thing' may be either a class (type) or
instance (individual) [1]. I think Charlie would approve, but I do not have
song and verse to cite for that immediately at hand.

Mike