Gary F, Jon AS, Gary R, Phyllis, et al.

Sometimes, such as when I'm done thinking about a philosophical question, I
look at the time and wonder where it went. I didn't write anything down, and I
didn't talk to anyone about it. Gary F's question takes the following form:
are my unuttered thoughts during this period internal sign tokens?

Consider a set of similar cases:

A.  I'm lost in thought, but occasionally muttering to myself. There is no one
around to hear it, and I'm not even noticing that I'm quietly muttering.

B. I'm lost in thought and sketching a diagram. The diagram is something of a
mess, and my thoughts are rather confused. I consider several changes that I
might make, perhaps adding lines here, erasing some there, but I don't make the
all of the changes considered. After an hour of doodling, I take the sheet of
paper and throw it away. I don't come back to it later, nor does anyone else
read it.

Whatever answer we give to your question about internal signs, I think the
explanations should flow naturally to cover cases A and B. Similarly, the
explanations should fit variations on A and B where someone else comes along
and says, "you're muttering" what are you saying and I say "oh it's nothing"
or, conversely, I reflect and offer an explanation of my thoughts. So, too, for
the case of the diagram on the piece of paper when someone pulls it out of the
trash and asks what I was thinking about when making the figure, and I give
similar responses.

What is clear is that patterns of thought unuttered today may, at some point in
the future, be uttered. As such, the analysis of those unuttered thoughts
should account for the future possible forms in which they might be expressed
verbally, in writing or in some other form of action.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy