Hello list,

It has been some years since I lasted posted, and I have only been lurking ever
since.

I am hoping to get some advice on reading George Boole’s An Investigation of
the Laws of Thought. This is a text which CS Peirce references in his earlier
logical work, and I was hoping to follow along Peirce’s early work by
understanding what he used as a basis for developing his own ideas.

I’ve had some difficulty though in trying to decipher Boole’s work. His earlier
essay on his work I was able to get through, but the book proves more
challenging. At first I tried an online PDF, but what I found had noticeable
typos, the sort of thing one really wants to avoid in a work using a lot of
abstract symbols.

So some years ago I acquired a hard copy of the currently printed version from
Watchmaker Publishing, but found the book still having typos. This is rather
frustrating, as they’ve had over a century and a half to get it right. I
suspect it has to do with digitization of the book and then publishing the
latest hard copy based on this poor digitization. After trying for a couple
years to get through it, I decided I couldn’t figure out if it was due to typos
that I don’t know are typos, or simply inability to comprehend on my part, that
has kept me from being able to interpret the work successfully.

So what I’d like to know is if there are possibly any publications on Boole’s
work, hopefully in relation to Peirce’s early logical work extending the
Boolean calculus, that might assist me in finally getting through Boole’s book.
Any advice or suggestions in regard to this matter will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Franklin Ransom
Sent from my iPhone