Hi John:

A bit speculative but certainly not totally implausible.

The tone of the message leaves little doubt about his level of frustration with
his colleagues.

By the way, the phrase:
> that the latter is thereby mediately determined by the former.

Is a bit over stated.  In order to assert a sign (as a set of signals derived
from chemical analysis) determines the object, a massive amount of laboratory
work as well as numerous calculations may be essential.

The simpler the molecule, the less work need to assign the structure.
The more perplex the molecule, the more connections to identity and hence the
greater investment in laboratory work needed to decode the interior
relationships among the atoms  of the molecule.

Cheers
Jerry