John, all,

One may need to look at Peirce's defiinitions of "interpretant" in The Monist to guess better whether the idea of the interpretant as an effect upon "a person" was Peirce's sop to editor Carus.  There are other things that I could check, but I have to run.  Peirce does mention the interpretant as an effect on a Quasi-mind in "Prolegomena" (which was published in The Monist), but the Commens.org site's other quotes on "interpretant" include no other passages that I remember as published in The Monist. So maybe (as far as I can recall at the moment) Peirce did, as you suggest, have a problem with Carus about the interpretant.  Meanwhile:

In CP, W 1-6, & PW1 (incl. CN), I found two instances of "Cerberus":

One is in "Evolutionary Love" The Monist, vol. 3, pp. 176-200 (1893).

Early in the article's Section 1, CP 6:291, QUOTE :

               291. I open a handbook of political economy †1 — the
   most typical and middling one I have at hand — and there find some
   remarks of which I will here make a brief analysis. I omit
   qualifications, sops thrown to Cerberus, phrases to placate
   Christian prejudice, trappings which serve to hide from author and
   reader alike the ugly nakedness of the greed-god. But I have
   surveyed my position. The author enumerates "three motives to human
   action:†2

       The love of self;

       The love of a limited class having common interests and feelings
       with one's self;

       The love of mankind at large."

              Remark, at the outset, what obsequious title is bestowed
   on greed — "the love of self." Love! The second motive is love. In
   place of "a limited class" put "certain persons," and you have a
   fair description. Taking "class" in the old-fashioned sense, a weak
   kind of love is described. In the sequel, there seems to be some
   haziness as to the delimitation of this motive. By the love of
   mankind at large, the author does not mean that deep, subconscious
   passion that is properly so called; but merely public-spirit,
   perhaps little more than a fidget about pushing ideas.  [....]

END QUOTE

The other instance of "Cerberus"  is in CP 1, in what the editors call "a manuscript of notes for a projected, but never completed, History of Science, c. 1896"

CP 1:75 in Ch. 2, "Lessons from the History of Science", "§11. The Study of the Useless" QUOTE:

   75. . . . The old-fashioned political economist adored, as alone
   capable of redeeming the human race, the glorious principle of
   individual greed, although, as this principle requires for its
   action hypocrisy and fraud, he generally threw in some dash of
   inconsistent concessions to virtue, as a sop to the vulgar
   Cerberus   . But it is easy to see that the only kind of science
   this principle would favor would be such as is immediately
   remunerative with a great preference for such as can be kept secret,
   like the modern sciences of dyeing and perfumery. Kepler's discovery
   rendered Newton possible, and Newton rendered modern physics
   possible, with the steam engine, electricity, and all the other
   sources of the stupendous fortunes of our age. But Kepler's
   discovery would not have been possible without the doctrine of
   conics. Now contemporaries of Kepler — such penetrating minds as
   Descartes and Pascal — were abandoning the study of geometry (in
   which they included what we now call the differential calculus, so
   far as that had at that time any existence) because they said it was
   so UTTERLY USELESS. There was the future of the human race almost
   trembling in the balance; for had not the geometry of conic sections
   already been worked out in large measure, and had their opinion that
   only sciences apparently useful ought to be pursued, [prevailed] the
   nineteenth century would have had none of those characters which
   distinguish it from the ancien régime.

   76. True science is distinctively the study of useless things. For
   the useful things will get studied without the aid of scientific
   men. To employ these rare minds on such work is like running a steam
   engine by burning diamonds.

END QUOTE

Best, Ben