Jon, i have a question about your slides 20 and 23.

On #20, under the heading of Objective Idealism, your proposal is that

“Continuous/triadic semiosis is real and primordial (3ns).”

On #23, under “Defining Continuity,” you cite the “Categorial Vector:
3ns→1ns→2ns,” (the vector of representation in Gary R's terminology), and i
think it was at this point that you mentioned the idea of an “ur-continuity”
which was there at the beginning in Peirce's cosmology (referring, i think, to
his 1898 Cambridge Lectures).

I wonder whether (or how) all this can be reconciled with the cosmology Peirce
develops in “Kaina Stoicheia”, which i barely mentioned in my CSPS presentation
on Saturday, but which seems to me highly relevant to Objective Idealism. KS
was written a few years after the Cambridge lectures, and Peirce does not
explicitly mention either continuity or 3ns anywhere in KS; instead, his
cosmology begins with indeterminacy. On EP2:322 he says:

[[CSP:] If we are to explain the universe, we must assume that there was in the
beginning a state of things in which there was nothing, no reaction and no
quality, no matter, no consciousness, no space and no time, but just nothing at
all. Not determinately nothing. For that which is determinately not A supposes
the being of A in some mode. Utter indetermination. But a symbol alone is
indeterminate. Therefore, Nothing, the indeterminate of the absolute beginning,
is a symbol. That is the way in which the beginning of things can alone be
understood. What logically follows?]

The whole paragraph starting  <https://gnusystems.ca/KainaStoicheia.htm#4y>
here in the edition of Kaina Stoicheia on my website gives Peirce's account of
what logically follows. What he arrives at is this: “That is logical which it
is necessary to admit in order to render the universe intelligible. And the
first of all logical principles is that the indeterminate should determine
itself as best it may” (EP2:324).

It is not obvious how this can be reconciled with a cosmology arising from an
ur-continuity or a primal Thirdness. We could dismiss Kaina Stoicheia as
anomalous among Peirce's works, or as something he changed his mind about
later, but my preference (and i think yours, Jon) is to look for some
continuity between KS and Peirce's other works that offer a semiotically
realistic cosmology. I have a few ideas about this but would like to hear what
others think before i post mine.

Love, gary

Coming from the ancestral lands of the Anishinaabeg

} Everything is actually everything else, recycled. [anon] {

 <https://gnusystems.ca/wp/> https://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{
<https://gnusystems.ca/TS/> Turning Signs