Dan, Michael, et al.

with a quotation by Peirce that helps explain the so-called Large Language
Models of GPT:

"Two things here are all-important to assure oneself of and to remember. The
first is that a person is not absolutely an individual. His thoughts are what
he is "saying to himself," that is, is saying to that other self that is just
coming into life in the flow of time. When one reasons, it is that critical
self that one is trying to persuade; and all thought whatsoever is a sign, and
is mostly of the nature of language.
The second thing to remember is that the man's circle of society (however
widely or narrowly this phrase may be understood) is a sort of loosely
compacted person, in some respects of higher rank than the person of an
individual organism. [CP 5.421 (1905)]"

What those LLMs encode is the language of multiple circles of society, which is
"in some respects of higher rank than the person of an individual organism/"
From that encoded language, GPT derives answers that are often highly relevant
to the questions and comments by somebody who is communicating with GPT.

But GPT , by itself, frequently makes stupid mistakes.  On one blog,  somebody
wrote "GPT is dumber than my cat.."

As I said before, I agree that the word 'model' in LLM is not appropriate.
However, the information encoded in the LLMs is an excellent source for
deriving two kinds of models for each "circle of society":  (1) an ontology of
the information encoded in what that circle says and (2) a syntactic model (in
the sense of  current linguistic theory) of the language that the people in
that circle speak.

I am currently working with some colleagues who are developing theoretical
methods and computer software for deriving both #1 and #2 above.  There is much
more to say, and I'll include more later.