Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>

________________________________
From: JACK ROBERT KELLY CODY <jack.cody.2...@mumail.ie>
Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2023 5:31 PM
To: Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Aw: [PEIRCE-L] The Thing In Itself (Kant and Peirce -
Again).

Helmut, List,

It is certainly ancient (Grecian).

But it is absolutely true insofar as I have reasoned it after throwing Kant
away numerous times and then coming to a conclusion.

Kant's position, that things have an essence in themselves, thing in itself,
ding an sich - do away with the idea of "come from themselves" and assume they
only have an essence/value insofar as contiguity goes/combinatorial possibility
and the same result is derived. Element-Element' (E-E' where ' = infinite)
implies that all manner of combinations - assume infinite - produce all manner
of values. But that no number of value/combinatorial merry-go-rounds ever are
sufficient to give us the "total value" (essence) of any given thing in itself
(natural thing/organic). Now, that these things exist - obvious, else why
combinatorial? - individuated and contiguous, but that the combinations never
yield the total value of any thing as it is in itself (its essence now) is seen
to be true. And that is a long, long, debate made as simple as possible. I've
been turning the matter over for months and have realized that Kant was right.
He was pointing to that which cannot be represented (representational
inadequacy) and such explains the difficulty of Critique of Pure Reason.

It - Kant - needed Hegel/Darwin/Peirce/Godel/Chomsky (and so many others) to
clarify his position and make it simple (but still immensely confusing).

It is the only metaphysical proof - as far as I can see - ever given. And it
just has enormous consequences for all branches of "knowledge" (I have derived
a diagrammatic "free will" proof which is so simple but so impossible to refute
from this understanding of Kant via Peirce).

If anyone understands it, in gist, then the credit goes to people like Godel,
Russell, and Chomsky (system iconoclasts in their own fields - Wittgenstein,
too). The mathematical - ontological - fallout is simply immense. Dominoes have
fallen - whether we admit it now or in a decade - which take a long time to
rearrange.

As an example, positivism in politics is logically - in dialectical reasoning -
now out of bounds in ways which "organically" follow Kant's V(X) (mine, but
his) thing in itself proof.

One last note. Peirce was a chemist. He understood combinatorial possibility
and indexicality as a chemist understands these things. Which, simply, means he
knew that these qualities must exist in themselves (isolated - relatively
non-contiguous, except for human mediation, experience) but also that they
combine to produce other qualities). But - taking Turner, Victor, it is
demonstrably true - not even valid - that no number of possible combinations
can ever yield the essential property of any given "thing" or "quality" as it
is in itself. It is beyond human knowledge, forever, to do so, as Kant always
maintained.

You may know it - in the Hegelian sense/Peircean too - but you cannot represent
your knowing of it. If you can represent it, that is not it (the thing in
itself). I am still finishing a final draft of this and thus submit the general
idea to this list before continuing as I value the feedback (being Peircean).

It's not anti-Peircean, btw, as I know some will assume - for it proves a great
many things which Peirce assumed (such as "symbolic consolidation" - can't
recall if that's my term for something Peirce wrote or if I "stole" it from
Mauss/Errol Daniel). It brings, when understood - by others, not me - semeiotic
into the realm of science (as Peirce always said would happen).