Matias, Jon, list,

Jon is quite right.  Don't get hung up on Peirce's remark on the ampliative-explicative distinction as applied to deduction.

SIDE NOTE: I'm getting a bit rusty.  In a previous post I said Peirce never discussed nontriviality or depth in their later sense, but that was my bad editing; he discussed them by discussing theorematic deductions; I meant that he didn't call them by such words as "nontrivial" and "deep". I should add that it's kind of interesting that Gilman discussed some deductive categorical-syllogistic conclusions (all corollarial) as being, in effect, _/less/_corollarial than others.
END OF SIDE NOTE.

The following, with various links to texts, is about *Peirce's terminology*, maybe helpfully to Matias and lurkers.

By "ampliative" Peirce USUALLY meant "non-deductive" and there several passages of his across the years that show it.

Peirce usually made a distinction between "ampliative" and "deductive" rather than between "ampliative" and "explicative", since some deductions are too vacuous to be called "explicative".

The English words "explicative" and "ampliative" were used by writers before "analytic" and "synthetic" to translate Kant's division of conclusions. Peirce regarded mathematical reasoning as based on hypotheses and did not hold with Kant's idea of the synthetic a priori, an idea strongly associated with the use of the English words "analytic" and "synthetic" in logic.

The following are gathered from my notes. I place underlines and asterisks around italicized and bolded text respectively because the IU peirce-l archive's list-serv program is designed to sadistically refuse, among other things, to render visually bold tags, italic tags, and other simple HTML markup. I checked the online archive texts' markup and the italic tags, bold tags, etc., are there, but they don't change the appearance of the text. Or maybe the owner (IUPUI) has to pay extra for such "amenities".

**Peirce *1883**:*

   We are thus led to divide all probable reasoning into deductive and
   ampliative, and further to divide ampliative reasoning into
   induction and hypothesis. [….]

   —Page 143
   https://books.google.com/books?id=xq8RAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA3-PA143
   <https://books.google.com/books?id=xq8RAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA3-PA143> in “A
   Theory of Probable Inference”

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Studies_in_Logic/xq8RAAAAYAAJ?gbpv=1&pg=PA126

<https://www.google.com/books/edition/Studies_in_Logic/xq8RAAAAYAAJ?gbpv=1&pg=PA126>
   in_Studies in Logic_.

**Peirce 1889–91**:

***ampliative*** (am*/′/* pli-ạ̄-tiv) […]   Enlarging; increasing; synthetic. Applied — (/a/) In _/logic/,_ to a modal expression causing an ampliation (see _/ampliation/,_ 3); thus, the word _/may/_ in “Some man may be Antichrist” is an _/ampliative/_ term. (/b/) In the _/Kantian philosophy/,_ to a judgment whose predicate is not contained in the definition of the subject: more commonly termed by Kant a _/synthetic/_ judgment. [“Ampliative judgment” in this sense is Archbishop Thomson’s translation of Kant’s word /Erweiterungsurtheil/, translated by Prof. Max Müller “expanding judgment.”]

   No subject, perhaps, in modern speculation has excited an intenser
   interest or more vehement controversy than Kant’s famous distinction
   of analytic and synthetic judgments, or, as I think they might with
   far less of ambiguity be denominated, explicative and _/ampliative/_
   judgments.     _/Sir W. Hamilton./_//

— _Century Dictionary_, p. 187 https://archive.org/stream/centurydictipt100whituoft#page/187/mode/1up , in Part 1: A – Appet., 1889–91, of Volume 1 of 6, and identically nd identically on p. 187 https://books.google.com/books?id=dHsxAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA187&dq=ampliation <https://books.google.com/books?id=dHsxAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA187&dq=ampliation> in Volume 1 of 12, 1911 edition . The brackets around the sentence mentioning Archbishop Thomson are in the originals.

Peirce also opposes “explicative inference” and “ampliative inference” to each other in his long definition of inference https://archive.org/details/centurydictipt1100whituoft/page/3081/mode/1up in CD.  Note that _/explicative inference/_ there amounts to non-vacuous deductive inference.

   [….] **Explicative inference,** an inference which consists in the
   observation of new relations between the parts of a mental diagram
   (see above) constructed without addition to the facts contained in
   the premises. It infers no more than is strictly involved in the
   facts contained in the premises, which it thus unfolds or
   explicates. This is the opposite of _/ampliative inference,/_ in
   which, in endeavoring to frame a representation, not merely of the
   facts contained in the premises, but also of the way in which they
   have come to present themselves, we are led to add to the facts
   directly observed. [….]

**Peirce1892**: Peirce treats “non-deductive” and “ampliative” as alternate labels for the same kinds of inference, as follows in “The Doctrine of Necessity Examined” http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/necessity/necessity.htm , § II, 2nd paragraph:

   [….] Non-deductive or ampliative inference is of three kinds:
   induction, hypothesis, and analogy. If there be any other modes,
   they must be extremely unusual and highly complicated, and may be
   assumed with little doubt to be of the same nature as those
   enumerated. For induction, hypothesis, and analogy, as far as their
   ampliative character goes, that is, so far as they conclude
   something not implied in the premises, depend upon one principle and
   involve the same procedure. All are essentially inferences from
   sampling. [….]

Note: Throughout the years, Peirce usually regarded analogy as a combination of induction and hypothetical inference. Also, in later years, he didn't regard abduction as essentially an inference from sampling.

Best, Ben