List

I am unaware of anyone who "confines semiosis to the biological realm”!! Never
heard of such a thing!  But, of course, there are many who confine semiosis to
the human mind realm - and many who reject the operation of semiosis within the
physicochemical realms.

As I’ve said - my point is that there are many researchers who are actually
examining the semiotic function within non-human realms - but are not using
Peircean terms.  The difficulty, as I’ve said, of accessing and deciphering the
Peircean texts - as well as the isolationism of the Peircean community - has, I
think, led to this separation.

I think it would be instructive for Peirceans to actually explore the work
being done in biological, physico-chemical and AI areas and see how- using
different terms from Peirce - there are strong correlations to Peirce in their
arguments. The additional emphasis in their work on material, concrete
examples, is, I feel, extremely helpful in moving Peircean analysis from the
purely argumentative and hypothetical into the pragmatic realism that, after
all, was Peirce’s basic agenda.

Edwina