Jon,

The entire letter L376 is about Delta graphs and applications of Delta graphs.
Since Peirce began the letter to Risteen shortly after his visit, he was
assuming that Risteen knew a great deal about the material they had discussed.
Therefore, he plunged into examples without much of an intro.

As Peirce wrote, the phemic sheet of a Delta graph contains multiple "papers",
each of which represents one possibility specified by "postulates"  that govern
the remaining content of the sheet.  There are many ways of partitioning a
sheet of paper to distinguish the postulates from the content they govern.  The
excerpt from R514 is one method, and it happens to fill an entire sheet of
paper.  He may have thought of some other notation for partitioning the paper,
but the logical result would be equivalent.

There is much more to say, and I'll send the full preview later this week.

Meanwhile, there are some questions to ponder:  Why did Juliette scrub and
polish the floor in December?  Spring cleaning is rarely done in December.  Why
was there some paper on the floor?  Why did Peirce slip n it?  Didn't he see
it? Why was his accident so serious?  If he had been walking in a straight
line, he might have fallen on his rear.  That might have been painful, but it
wouldn't cause a serious injury that took 6 months to heal.   Such a serious
accident might have occurred if Peirce had been walking fast while turning or
twisting.  But why would he be doing that?

Possible answer:  Charles had asked Juliette to wash the floor because he
wanted to build a diagram with multiple papers.  He was laying out a diagram of
papers with a large example of what he was writing about.  As he turned to lay
our another layer, he turned and slipped.