John, List:

JFS: The entire letter L376 is about Delta graphs and applications of Delta
graphs.

This conjecture is quite a leap, considering that--as you
acknowledged--Peirce mentions Delta *exactly once* in that entire 19-page
letter, which he left unfinished unless additional pages somehow
disappeared from the manuscript folder at Harvard's Houghton Library
decades ago. Again, here is that lone sentence.

CSP: The better exposition of 1903 divided the system into three parts,
distinguished as the Alpha, the Beta, and the Gamma, parts; a division I
shall here adhere to, although I shall now have to add a *Delta *part in
order to deal with modals.

In the remaining text that we currently have, Peirce never gets around to
discussing *any *of the individual parts of EGs and their differences,
despite stating plainly that he was going to maintain them as "the better
exposition" of the system as a whole. He also says nothing whatsoever about
dealing with modals, which is his only stated purpose for adding a Delta
part to the other three.

JFS: As Peirce wrote, the phemic sheet of a Delta graph contains multiple
"papers", each of which represents one possibility specified by
"postulates"  that govern the remaining content of the sheet.

That is *not *what Peirce wrote in his letter to Risteen. Again, here is
the exact quotation.

CSP: I provide my system with a *phemic sheet*, which is a surface upon
which the utterer and interpreter will, by force of a voluntary and
actually contracted habit, recognize that whatever is scribed upon it and
is interpretable as an assertion is to be recognized as an assertion,
although it may refer to a mere idea as its subject. If “snows” is scribed
upon the Phemic Sheet, it asserts that in the universe to which a special
understanding between utterer and interpreter has made the special part of
the phemic sheet on which it is scribed to relate, it *sometime *does snow.
For they two may conceive that the “phemic sheet” embraces many papers, so
that one part of it is before the common attention at one time and another
part at another, and that actual conventions between them equivalent to
scribed graphs make some of those pieces relate to one subject and part to
another.

Again, there is no mention here of Delta, nor of modals. In fact, there is
no mention here of *any *of the different parts of EGs, because Peirce is
describing the phemic sheet as employed in *every *part. He also does not
say that the different "papers" correspond to different *possibilities*, he
says that they correspond to different *subjects*--different universes of
discourse--to which the utterer and interpreter together pay attention at
different times. So I ask again, how exactly would the use of multiple
"papers" and/or the "red pencil" operation of R 514 facilitate implementing
formal systems of modal logic with EGs? Which specific one, "invented in
2006," do you have in mind?

JFS: Meanwhile, there are some questions to ponder:

Any answers to such questions about the details of Peirce's unfortunate
accident are pure speculation. It seems to me that if it had happened while
he was "laying out a diagram of papers" for a new version of EGs, then he
likely would have said so somewhere.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt