John, List:

In the first passage that you quoted from R L376, I agree that Peirce is
primarily condemning cuts, not tinctures. However, he is also condemning
his *entire *55-page description of EGs in "Prolegomena to an Apology for
Pragmaticism"--that is the total length of the article as originally
published in *The Monist*, which is where he *introduces* the tinctures.
Moreover, he explicitly bemoans "my nonsensical 'tinctures' and heraldry"
two years later, in a letter addressed to F. A. Woods (R L477, 1913 Nov 8).

I will not further belabor the points that I have already made at length
about the "many papers."

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt