List

I am aware that JAS’s use of ‘determines’ is not synonymous with ‘causes’ or
‘precedes’ - but is ‘logically constrains’. However, something that ‘logically
constrains’ DOES, functionally operate as causal and precedent to other forces-
otherwise - how would it function as that constraint?.

And, to my understanding, JAS’s definition of the Interpretants includes an
assumption that each is also in a different categorical mode, ie, as he says:
possible-existent-necessitnat [ for Immediate/Dynamic and Final]. But this is
not found in Peirce’s outline of the ten classes.

And, for an Interpretant to function as ‘constraint’ would mean that the
Interpretant would have to be in a mode of 3ns, [ understood as a necessitant]
but, if we consider  the ten classes, then, we find that ONLY ONE of the ten
has the Interpretant in a mode of 3ns. The others - six are in a mode of 1ns
and three are in a mode of 2ns, ie, are dicisigns. . I think this is a key
point - only one of the ten classes has the Final Interpretant in a mode of
3ns, ie, capable of imposing constraint. A FI in a mode of 1ns or 2ns cannot
impose constraint.

 And when we consider Robert Marty’s outline of the hexadic ten classes - we
see, of course, the same format

Where then is the constraint? It’s within the mediative representamen/sign, not
within the Interpretants. It is this site that plays the key role in forming
the nature of the sign triad’/hexad.

And - there is no argument that, one cannot move, cognitively, from possible to
existent to necessitate [ 1ns to 2ns to 3ns] BUT this does not then mean that
the Final Interpretant is in a mode of 3ns! All it means is that, if the
Immediate Interpretant is in a mode of 1ns, then, the other two interpretants
will be in the same mode. BUT, if the immediate interpretant is in a mode of
2ns, then, the Dynamic and Final Intepretants can be either in a modes of 1ns
or 2ns. Again - see Robert Marty’s outlines.

Edwina