Jon, List,

is there a proof, that " logical antedescent" must mean temporal antedescent? Only then your conclusion at the end of your post is correct. The start is a boundary condition, and looking at them always helps to judge hypotheses. If at the beginning there was no universe, only God, then at this starting point classical theism fits. But what if there never was nothing? Then God is not the temporal creator, but still the logical creator. But never without something, immanent or not- but not immanent would mean more logical problems, than immanent. Even in the bible a temporal state of nothingness is not mentioned, just "vast and empty", of which some say, that that is a mistranslation of "Tohuvabohu", which rather would mean chaos. I guess, chaos can be understood for a logical starting point boundary condition for evolution. To see it as a termporal starting point too, might be just a human attempt of reverse engineering due to experience. People migrate to a place, where stones ly randomly around, and build a house with them. I only want to say, that we should not use premisses, which we cannot prove, for refuting anything. Even if the big bang would be proved, there couldn´t be a proof, that it came out of nothing.

Best regards, Helmut

 20. September 2024 um 18:59 Uhr
Von: "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

I am not "now admitting" anything that I have not already acknowledged many times before. In fact, the first two paragraphs of my post below are copied almost word-for-word from one of my posts last week (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2024-09/msg00057.html).

If the sign, object, and interpretant were not distinct correlates, then they could not be in a genuine triadic relation with each other. Where we should be able to agree is that something is not a sign unless it stands in the genuine triadic relation of mediating between an object an interpretant, something is not an object unless it determines a sign relatively to an interpretant, and something is not an interpretant unless it is determined by a sign in reference to an object (see Robert Marty's definition #40f, https://cspeirce.com/rsources/76defs/76defs.htm). Again, when Peirce says that the universe is "perfused with signs," he means precisely that it is perfused with first correlates of triadic relations (signs) that are mediating between second correlates (objects) and third correlates (interpretants). This indeed entails that the universe is also perfused with objects and interpretants, but those are also signs with their own objects and interpretants, and so on in both directions because all such individual signs/objects/interpretants are artifacts of analysis prescinded from the continuous process of semiosis.

That the entire universe is one immense sign is not just my claim, it is also Peirce's explicit claim. "[T]he Universe is a vast representamen, a great symbol of God's purpose, working out its conclusions in living realities. Now every symbol must have, organically attached to it, its Indices of Reactions and its Icons of Qualities; and such part as these reactions and these qualities play in an argument, that they of course play in the Universe, that Universe being precisely an argument" (CP 5.119, EP 2:193-194, 1903). The universe is one sign (a symbol, an argument, 3ns) that involves many signs (indices and icons, propositions and names, 2ns and 1ns) because "if any signs are connected, no matter how, the resulting system constitutes one sign" (R 1476:36[5-1/2], 1904). It is "the aggregate formed by a sign and all the signs which its occurrence carries with it. This aggregate will itself be a sign; and we may call it a perfect sign, in the sense that it involves the present existence of no other sign except such as are ingredients of itself" (EP 2:545n25, 1906). As I have explained previously (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2024-09/msg00038.html), the interpretant of any argument is its conclusion, so the dynamical interpretants of the universe are the living realities that it is constantly working out--every actual event is a dynamical interpretant of the entire universe prior to the moment when it occurs.

I have never suggested that Peirce refers to a necessary being in his earlier cosmological writings including CP 1.412 (1887-8) and CP 6.185-209&214-221 (1898), although he does state in the latter, "Those who express the idea to themselves by saying that the Divine Creator determined so and so may be incautiously clothing the idea in a garb that is open to criticism, but it is, after all, substantially the only philosophical answer to the problem" (CP 6.199). I simply maintain that those passages can and should be interpreted in light of his 1908 writings that repeatedly refer to God as Ens necessarium including "A Neglected Argument" (CP 6.452-491, EP 2:434-450), its manuscript drafts (R 841-844), the Logic Notebook entries of August 28-29 (R 339:[293r-296r]), and R 611 (dated October 28). Again, Peirce unambiguously asserts that logic requires the reality of God as Ens necessarium in the state of things logically antecedent to the co-reality of the three universes, in which there were no phenomena whatsoever. The only alternative is that "the three universes must actually be absolutely necessary results of a state of utter nothingness" (CP 6.490), which is obviously absurd.

Regards,

Jon