Gary, Gary, Joe, list,

Regarding the absence of "interpretant" from the Century Dictionary: For Peirce's technical terms, fortunately there's another resource, The Commens Dictionary of Peirce's Terms, Peirce's Terminology in His Own Words, Edited by Mats Bergman & Sami Paavola http://www.helsinki.fi/science/commens/dictionary.html  There's plenty about the interpretant, the representamen, etc., there.

During the discussions and arguments with Tom Short here at peirce-l last year, the subject of the term "interpretant" came up -- why would Peirce have wanted it? And why was it a good idea? I can't remember whether we distinguished those two questions clearly. Tom didn't think much of coining the term in order to distinguish interpretation as product (the interpretant) from interpretation as the activity leading to the interpretation as product. He said that context, syntactical differences, etc. were enough. I disagreed and argued that Peirce probably wanted an unambiguous word which would retain its univocality in translations and not overdepend on the literary abilities of the translators. Many languages do not have "the" or "a" etc. and other English tricks for differentiating senses -- Latin, for instance.  I could not prevail. I argued also that calling it an "interpretant" tended to minimize the idea that it had to be a _human_ interpretation. Tom did like that idea. I don't remember whether anybody else had a strong opinion on such specific aspects of why Peirce would have wanted a different word than "interpretation." There were other and bigger arguments going on at the time!

Since then I ran into an old word "interpretament" from Medieval Latin interpretamentum which meant intepretation, apparently in the sense only of product, and this arising from a chiefly technical use -- the interpretament was an explanatory gloss. (At this Webpage look for yellow-highlighted "interpretamentum" -- it's bad OCR of the Encyclopedia Britannica 11th edition, some of it is garbled) http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:4DjOTI7LpFMJ:encyclopedia.jrank.org/GEO_GNU/GLOSS_GLOSSARY.html+interpretamentum&hl=en

The Century Dictionary has interpretament (obs.) (in-te· r'pre-ta··-ment), n. [< L. interpretamentum, explanation, > interpretari, explain: see interpret.] Interpretation. [Rare.] This bold interpretament, how commonly soever sided with, cannot stand a minute with any competent reverence to God or his law, or his people. Milton, Tetrachordon.

My suspect that Peirce indeed knew this word but thought, why not a briefer word, and one without an established meaning of an explanation in a glossary.

Best, Ben Udell

Gary F. wrote:
Thanks, Joe, for a highly informative answer to my question! I hope someone does come up with an e-version of that list.

By the way, i just noticed that the Century has no definition for "interpretant". I guess if there was one, there would be no question who wrote it ...

        gary F.