Excuse me if this is a little off track, but I promise there is a Peircian edge to it from several points of view.

I know that several people here on Peirce-l have attempted to write articles for Wikipedia - and I have expressed my own concerns here in the past. If you missed those then you can find a summary of the issues on my Wikipedia user page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:StevenZenith

As many of you know I am interested in semeiotic issues as they relate to the development of human understanding, deliberation and consensus on the Internet - and I conduct "field research" by going out there and actually engaging to some level with the various mediums.

A principal issue that occurs again and again - and we have seen it here on Peirce-l - is what is broadly called the issue of "transparency." That is the ability to know who the author is. As you will see, I firmly believe that when dealing with knowledge it is essential that we can identify the author - it is essential for the author to be transparent. There are many reasons for this but the primary reason is that without this knowledge we can be easily misled and manipulated both as individuals and communities.

My primary focus in the past couple of years has been Wikipedia and Citizen Journalism where this problem is actively manifest.

So, aside from the observations that assist theoretical developments, I am a pragmatist and I have assembled a concept piece that I would be please if Ben and Gary, at least, would review.

In essence I believe that the basic idea behind Wikipedia is a good one - a free encyclopedia will aid many and particularly the alternative education community of which I am a life member. But Wikipedia is doomed to fail principally because of the transparency issues mentioned above. In addition, they can't back out. The copyright license they have selected essentially prevents them from changing their model - they would have to start again and would not be able to use the current base. Which is exactly what I think they should do, but they won't because the community of anonymity is a compulsive game - they have too much invested. So what, I thought, would solve the problem?

See

http://www.panopedia.org

It is a concept piece based on the familiar Wikipedia software modified to enforce transparency requirements. It combines several interests of mine - including my personal commitment to place on line a resource that will continue to serve my home schooled children in their adult years.

Contributions and comments from your experiences with Wikipedia and elsewhere are welcome. Caveat: This is a concept piece that currently sits on servers in my garage where bandwidth is limited - and it is essentially an empty encyclopedia - if it seems viable I will move it out of there.

With respect,
Steven