and how Whitman's poetic practice might
profit from a
"Peircean" reading.

Dear Jeff,

This caught my attention. So I says to myself, what is a Peircean reading. And just now all I can think of is an attention to quality (form), reaction (such as a poke in the ribs) and continuity. And what is the quality of being Whitmaneque if not a poke in the ribs and the continuity of all things? I'm trying to think of that passage from song of myself where Whitman exalts the sign democracy.

I do think there was something in the language and culture of times that animated a common spirit in these three contemporaries. And that each in his own way celebrated the form, substance, and continuity of what is best in the American way. Plus each exhibited an intense pragmatistic mindfulness of the consequences of one's acts. Seen from a distance they were soul mates, profoundly ethical, robust, spritual souls -- emblematic of the American soul. We know this because these are the aspirations they stir in us. But facts I ain't got any.

All of the above just an attempt to share some of my enthusiam and support for your project. I hope you keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim Piat