Dear Jeff,

This response is much delayed. I apologize for that. As one of the few "literary" members of the list, I'd like to offer some suggestions. (I too am a fan of Emerson and Whitman.) You may want to look at Joan Richardson's "The Fact of Feeling: American Aesthetics," in REAL: Pragmatism and Literature 15 (John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies, Freie Universitat, Berlin, 2006).

On Whitman you might try Angus Fletcher's _A New Theory for American Poetry_ (Harvard, 2005). While not addressing Pierce directly, he does consider Pragmatism's effect on Whitman's verse.

Best,
Tori

Victoria Alexander, Ph.D.
Dactyl Foundation for the Arts & Humanities
www.dactyl.org