Joseph,
I can't recall what that message was, but the quote you are looking might be this one, where Peirce says that his CD definitions

“were necessarily rather vaguely expressed, in order to describe the popular usage of terms, and in some cases were modified by proofreaders or editors; . . . they are hardly such as I should give in a Philosophical Dictionary proper.”

It appears at the end of the "Reply to the Necessitarians" Monist article. It could induce some rather severe pessimism about any hopes we might have in trusting that Peirce's definitions in the Century Dictionary can be considered to reflect his own views, but I can say he is being overly pessimistic himself in that passage as we find many gems in his CD work, philosophical and otherwise.

David

Gary and list:

I think it was Gary who posted a message some time back -- a couple of weeks ago? -- that had a quotation in it from Peirce about the definitions in the Century Dictionary for which he was responsible where he says something to the effect that he did not necessarily want to endorse of all of those for which he was responsible. That's not quite it, but, anyway, I can't find that message and need to get clear on exactly what he was saying. Does
anybody remember what message that was?

Joe Ransdell