David:

Thanks for the further clarification.  I wonder, though, if it is not going too far to say that it was meant to be a state of the art encyclopedia, etc. (see below)?  I looked up the word "dictionary" -- which apparently was not defined by Peirce -- and it doesn't seem to to warrant regarding it that way.  Here is the entry for that (minus some word-equivalents in other languages which are too difficult to reproduce here):

====================================

DICTIONARY (dik' shon-a-ri), n. and a. lit. a word-book, … First used, it is said, by Joannes de Garlandia (died about A.D. 1250), the compiler of a dictionarius, a classified list of words. Exactly equiv. in etymological meaning are vocabulary, lexicon, and word-book.]I. n.; pl. dictionaries (-riz). A book containing either all or the principal words of a language, or words of one or more specified classes, arranged in a stated order, usually alphabetical, with definitions or explanations of their meanings and other information concerning them, expressed either in the same or in another language; a word-book; a lexicon; a vocabulary: as, an English dictionary; a Greek and Latin dictionary; a French-English or an English-French dictionary. In the original and most usual sense a dictionary is chiefly linguistic and literary, containing all the common words of the language with information as to their meanings and uses. In addition to definitions, the larger dictionaries include etymologies, pronunciation, and variations of spelling', together with illustrative citations, more or less explanatory information, etc. Special or technical dictionaries supply information on a single subject or branch of a subject: as, a dictionary of medicine or of mechanics; a biographical dictionary. A dictionary of geography is usually called a gazetteer.

What speech esteem you most? The king's, said I. But the best words? O, Sir, the dictionary.

Pope, Donne Versified, iv.

The multiplication and improvement of dictionaries is a matter especially important to the general comprehension of English.

G.P. Marsh, Lects. on Eng. Lang., xxi.

=Syn. Glossary, Lexicon, etc. See vocabulary.II. a. Pertaining to or contained in a dictionary.

The word having acquired in common usage a vituperative connotation in addition to its dictionary meaning.

J. S. Mill, Logic, v. 7.

Of course it is possible that Peirce misunderstood it that way, but perhaps the idea of hortatory meaning is sufficient to account for the extended accounts he sometimes gives, though it does seem that he was stretching things beyond reasonable limits at times.

Joe Ransdell