Gary,
Thanks for your extensive answer. It is more then I asked for but the
surplus does address an important issue.

I think it comes down to whether it is correct to hold, as you do, that
the 9 aspects can not be useful for anything except for establishing the
10 types of signs. As in:

GR: My biggest complaint with 9-adic structures concerns their being
used at all to provide a theoretical basis for anything except Peirce's
10-adic classification of signs. I have not been convinced of the
theoretical soundness of basing other structures on Peirce's 9-adic
arrangement.
--

Let me start by stating that I disagree with respect to the limitation
of the usefulness of the sign aspects to the establishment of sign

So what I am going to defend is the use of triadically derived sign
aspects for other purposes then typecasting. It is not a defense of the
sufficiency of the 9 aspects.

GR wrote: <>. . .strongly supports the notion that the 9-adic diagram
presents only the types of relationships possible for yet to be embodied
sign classes. In a word, the nine sign "parametric" choices do not
themselves represent embodied signs, whereas the ten classes do.[GR,
Outline of trikonic, p 6]
--

I would prefer 'signs' instead of 'sign classes' but if you accept that
we are in agreement here (and I think that Claudio, Sarbo and Farkas

I suggest approaching the matter according to the categories. We get
then:

- possibilities of signs - aspects of signs
- embodied signs - 10 sign types
- real or operative signs - actual thought, argument, 1 sign type

Now lets pose the following question: Are the 9 sign types (the
argumentative sign type excepted), each on its own, modes of thought or
do they only become real in arguments? I think the later. That however
does not make them worthless. On the contrary distinguishing sign types
enable us to arrest our moving thought and to become critical.

Side question: If we analyze a living argument according to its
constituents in terms of sign types, do we meet always all sign types or
can we do without some of them in some cases? I think the former but
will not argue it now.

But why should we stop here? Why shouldn't we try to cover all the way
to the manifold of sense? To push further is the attempt I see in
Sarbo's proto-sign approach. You call that approach dyadic. I am far
from sure that that is the right criticism. It sets off with a contrast,
the contrast that emerges when something (the blowing whistle of a train
for instance) is entering the field of consciousness. But from then on
it is all mediation until the intrusion is understood. That is, if we do
not look at it as stating a bottom up approach, for if we do, then
indeed, a mechanism is supposed and not an adaptive system that is
habitually interpreting.

Since I am co-author of Natural Grammar your remark below also applies
to me:

GR:Sarbo comments that "We gladly acknowledge that the term proto-sign
has been suggested by Gary Richmond," but does not note that I coined
this term while expressing exasperation at their referring to the
elements of their own dyadic and, in fact, wholly Boolean structure as
if they were actual, embodied signs.
---

I am sorry you feel that way and can only say that we did only state who
suggested the term out of intellectual honesty. That has nothing to do
with the position taken by the person suggesting the term, that can, as
in this case it obviously is, also be somebody with strong inclinations
against the theory. As a matter of fact, the term proto-sign was
welcomed by Sarbo just because it indicates that the elements must not
be taken as actual, embodied signs.

With regard to 'wholly Boolean structure' I have to disagree with you.
The Boolean operators figure in the model but the structuring is
according to the gradual development of the sign in an interpretative
system eventually determining its interpretant to stand in the same
relation to its object as it stands itself. Without however a concrete
interpretation. It is a model of a process, not any specific process
itself.

With regard to conceptualization you asked me to be more precise.

You stated:

GR:First, I would like to suggest that ICCS and CGs are more closely
associated with "knowledge representation" than with "knowledge
management" while the two over-lap to some extent.

And I asked how conceptualization fits in. Adding that I expect an
overlap between knowledge representation and conceptualization.

Knowledge representation is aiming at forming information systems. It
has more to do with organizing knowledge, often recorded first in
natural language, in such a way that it better serves some purposes.
Conceptualization is what I assume to have taken place in order to get
the knowledge that has to be represented. But, since representing
knowledge does add something to what is known through conceptualization,
it in a sense itself is a form of conceptualization.
However, it seems to be played by different rules. It is as if we
conceptualize if we try to understand something, while if we engage in
knowledge representation we only try to get rid of ambiguity and aim at
consistence. As if it does not matter what it is we try to understand
or, probably more precise, as if we delegate the task of understanding
to the persons that feed the knowledge.
Here I see some moral issues. Suppose a client-organization that has
some knowledge to be represented. The Representing person may gain an
insight that is in some useful respects superior to the knowledge of the
client. But the connection with reality is not his issue. Then the
client does not have the possibility of self control with respect to
that aspect.

Auke