Frances to listers...

As posited by Peirce under speculative grammatics, it is clear enough
to me that the classes of immediate object signs are qualisigns and
sinsigns and legisigns, and that the classes of dynamic object signs
are icons and indexes and symbols, and that the various interpretant
signs of these signs are classed as immediate and dynamic and final.
What is not clear to me however is what classes of signs Peirce may
have posited to account for immediate representamen signs. These would
presumably be determined by the immediate and dynamic objects they
refer to, and would in turn presumably determine the various terns of
interpretants they generate as an effect. Such representamens
therefore would presumably constitute the sign vehicles or carriers
that moderate between their objects and their interpretants.

The only tern of signs Peirce mentions that might be posited to fit
this class called immediate representamen signs are potisigns and
actisigns and famsigns. There is however some seeming resistance among
semioticians and pragmatists to allocate this fundamental tern in such
a way, but the reasons usually turn either on substitutions, whereby
they are claimed to be mere synonyms stated earlier by Peirce for what
is now correctly deemed to be immediate object signs, or on the fact
that they are not mentioned in the familiar ten classes of signs. If
these reasons justly warrant dismissing them from serious semiotic
concern, then the problem persists for me as to just what exactly are
immediate representamen signs within semiosis.