Title: Message
Ben, List,

Ben I have the feeling that much of your uneasyness is a consequence of the way in which you use the terms. It seems as if you promote the semiotic aspects that can be discerned (are involved) in signs to full fledged signs. I try to make this clear between the lines.

BU:
There is a qualisign which is the English word "red," and which consists in the appearance and/or sound of the word as written/printed/uttered.  The qualisign "red"'s semiotic object is the sinsign "red" which is the single actual appearance of the word "red" on the page or its single utterance. The sinsign "red" is a replica of the symbol "red" (and is an index).  This bothers me because the semiotic object of both the legisign and sinsign "red"s is the red thing or redness (dependently on context), but the semiotic object of the qualisign "red" is the sinsign "red," because a qualisign is always an icon and can have for its object only that which it resembles.
---

I would state things differently like: the English word "red" involves the qualisign aspect. With "qualisign aspect" we draw attention to the qualities of a sign, its appearance or sound when written, printed, uttered, part of thought or perceived, to the exclusion of all other aspects.

Since 'qualisign' is a possible and not an existent it needs the sinsign aspect for its embodiment. Without embodiment it will never be able to  function as a sign and will have object nor interpretant.
Only when we engage in a study of the process by which mind processes signs it makes some sense to ask for the object of a qualisign (aka emotional interpretant). One of the objects in the range of possibilities is the sinsign that arouse the feeling. We must be aware however that the sign in this case is not "red", but the "feeling of red" and the object is not "the object of the sinsign red", but the "sinsign red" itself. Here we have one of the possible sources of error in the process by which signs generate their meaning effects.

The sinsign 'red' is not a replica of the symbol red, it is a replica of the legisign "red". The symbol "red" is as you state indexically connected with the replica sinsign. But since it is a habit, it must be a symbolical idexical aka replica indexical relation.

The relation material word - word form differs from the relation word - meaning.

BU:
 And actually, I don't understand how it is that the sinsign "red," -- when used mainly as a replica of the symbol (and not used indexically with an implicit "over there!") -- can be regarded as having redness or something red as its semiotic object. If its semiotic object is redness or something red, because it is a replica, then I don't see why a qualisign "red" should not have redness or something red as its semiotic object by virtue of being a kind of qualisignal version of a replica of the symbol. I'd rather say that the single utterance/appearance of "red" is simply a symbolic sinsign (or "sinsignal symbol") and that the qualisign "red" is simply a symbolic qualisign.

The sinsign can only have something as its object if it is not only recognized as a sinsign but also as a replica sinsign (legisign) with a symbol attached. If we prescind from that for the sake of analysis, we  attribute other objects. It is akin to what happens if we shift from a syllogism and its object to one of the propositions and its object.

The, in a sinsign embodied, qualisign can only involve the legisign and symbol if there is an established habit that determines such involvement. It is more safe to assume the lower sign types (the 10 types resulting from the three triads of aspects) involved in the higher, than to assume the higher to be present in the lower. A symbolic sign involves qualisigns, but a qualisign is not on its own account a symbolic sign.

BU:
 The only purpose that I can see in the constraints which eliminate these options is to maintain a rule which restrains the multiplication of signs but does little else except to multiply problems, having us adding little detours and curlicues like the conception of the "replica" and like the qualisign's being an icon of an indexical sinsign which is a replica of a symbol.

I see an other purpose. Every distinction is justified by its ability to discern sources of error. The idea of a detour arises if we assume meaning aspects to be present when they are in fact not present.

Best,

Auke

 In everyday language and thought we think of such qualities as colors as quite capable of being symbolic in certain typical contexts, and certain appearances such as that of the English word "horse" are so tied habitually with specific symbolic significations that I think it's just strange to say that it's false that the qualisign "horse" has for its semiotic object not a horse but an individual utterance, writing, or printing of the word "horse."

 Now, suppose I define a kind of sign which I call an "evocant," and define it as any sign which is either a symbol or a replica of a symbol. The distinction between sinsign & legisign is not abolished by this. Instead, the replica becomes simply the sinsignal evocant and the symbol is the legisinal evocant. Well, it wouldn't be enough. If I define the evocant simply as either symbol or replica, then I've defined it as either symbol or a kind of index whose significative power I've already found problematic. Instead I have to argue that a singular thing is capable of "evoking" and I have to define this as a power much like symbolizing. I'd have to argue that the habits which constitute symbols can be tied to qualisigns in such a way as to embody themselves in sinsigns such that the qualisign "horse"'s object, the sinsign "horse"'s object, and the legisign "horse"'s object, are all the horse, insofar as all three evoke the horse in the interpretant mind. Now is it really false that the qualisign, the appearance, "horse" evokes a horse in its interpretant's mind? I think that the appearance of the word does evoke a horse in my mind at least, because of the habitual connection of that appearance with an idea of a horse. Furthermore the interplay of singular utterances, qualitative appearances, and habits, do affect the symbol in its habitual character.

Best, Ben Udell