Bernard, Ben and others":

I think the quote from Peirce I gave earlier today justifies my reservations
about the acceptance of  the ten trichotomy scheme that Ben was working
with, and my claim that there is no version of it which can simply be put
forth as Peirce's considered and self-accepted view,  I have no disagreement
with your view of the importance of figuring out what the best or proper
version of that should be, though.  I am just warning people away from
taking that version which occurs in the CP as the "definitive" one or as
having some special status among the several versions he came up with, none
of which can, in my opinion, be so regarded.  So I don't see any real
disagreement here unless you want to insist on the special value of that
particular version.

As regards your earlier post, though, which pertained rather to the question
of why I did a diagram for that particular way of ordering the three
trichotomies -- as distinct from the ten trichotomies -- when there were
other options available, I am glad that you raised a question about that
because I am not at all sure that I chose the best way of representing that,
as regards the particular ordering relation (1,2,3), nor can I say
immediately why I did so.  It will take me at least another day, though, to
think this through again by rereading my article closely again and also by
going back to that material from  the Syllabus on Logic which it was based
upon and rethinking that.  The more I look over the various ordering
possibilities the more sense I get that there is something wrong but without
being able yet to see precisely what.  So let me simply stall you on that
until I can answer intelligently and, if necessary, make a revision in my
account.  Tomorrow then, hopefully.

Joe