Crick's "Astonishing Hypothesis" (the name of Crick's book on the subject) is emergence and identity theory - and the continuing focus of Crick's younger partner (Crick himself died recently) Christophe Koch at CalTech is neuronal according to Koch's recent book (as I recall). All theories dependent on emergence and identity are essentially appeals to magic - despite the wide popularity of the argument (including the popular appeals by Wolfram, Kurzweil et al.).

Koch is fairly religious (Catholic) - and has recently written about his religion on his web site - and without making aspersions upon his integrity I do find that a number of scientists in the field that are prepared to accept such magic are also religious. As a result they may, in fact, be predisposed to the argument that "God did it."

My own view is that these appeals to magic as the product of intellectual laziness. :-)

With respect,
Steven

Jim Piat wrote:

Make of that what you will :-)

With respect,
Steven

Dear Steven,

I think Crick of DNA fame was also seeking consciousness in the microtubials. What troubles me most about the search for the neural basis of consciousness is our lack of a coherent and satisfying working definition of consciousness. I doubt we will find the neurological basis of something we can't identify in the first place. The effort begs the question. Moreover neurons may be a necessary without being a sufficient condition for consciousness.

Just one layman's opinion.

Cheers,
Jim Piat
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]